Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie cover

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie cover

Which trees is the best to sink for crappie cover ?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367097006.231171.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  45.6 KB
    I build these out of buckets and wood slats. They are a lot easier to handle than trees and last a lot longer.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Do they work pretty good and how deep do u put yours and where (close to deep water,boat docks,creek bends ???).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
    Do they work pretty good and how deep do u put yours and where (close to deep water,boat docks,creek bends ???).
    I normally use them in depths between 5 and 15 feet. I use 2ft slats for shallower water and up to 5ft for deeper. I put them next to Cypress or on the edge of drops. They will work around docks too. Fish seem to like them and they are hard to find on a DF.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard Osage Orange trees (I believe that's what they are called) are good and will last up to 30 years. All hardwoods should be good. I look for ends of trees that have lost the bushy ends or cut off the ends of trees that have fallen after heavy winds.
    One of the hard things about this is they tend to be good for only 5-7 years and they are fairly easy to find. They usually are better to fish if they have some space between branches, so some might need to be thinned if they are too thick. Taking a brushtop every trip or two will quickly add up and give you several honeyholes to choose from.

Crappie will prefer some to others and it not always easy to understand why. Drops are always a good place to put some. I like to put 2 brushpiles real close (sometimes touching)to each other. Seems to attract even more fish.

Post Thanks / Like

yep Osage Orange that's the tree that has those balls on them that look like a brain. The wood is about as hard as you'll find any where and those balls will keep bugs out of your shed.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer