Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Melvern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Melvern

Craig,

I know this is not your area, but if you can get the biologist responsible to answer would be appreciated

The crappie fishing at Melvern seems to have taken a sudden nose dive. Early fall of 2012 we could catch fish but as the winter moved on catching was tougher every week now moving into spring. It is rare that you even get a bite. I know fish have cycles but this seems a bit sudden. Any insight would be appreciated thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

How deep are you fishing? As clear as it is they may be deeper than you think. Did you see the weights for the tourney a couple weeks ago? 11 pounds for 7 fish and most teams had at least 7 fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is what puzzles me, I have checked deep shallow in river channel along deep breaks. anywhere from 50 to 5 fft of water nothing, not even seeing many shad or fish on the HDS.

Post Thanks / Like

Well BD, you just as well tell the TRUTH!!! You and me have,,,, FISHED OUT another lake! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Durn Chatt was trying to keep that a secret

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt View Post
    Well BD, you just as well tell the TRUTH!!! You and me have,,,, FISHED OUT another lake! <*)}}}><
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Gotta catch fish to do that! Lol!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Craig,

I know this is not your area, but if you can get the biologist responsible to answer would be appreciated

The crappie fishing at Melvern seems to have taken a sudden nose dive. Early fall of 2012 we could catch fish but as the winter moved on catching was tougher every week now moving into spring. It is rare that you even get a bite. I know fish have cycles but this seems a bit sudden. Any insight would be appreciated thanks..
    Blackdog40,

I sent your request to Richard Sanders KDWPT District Fisheries Biologist for Clinton and Melvern Reservoirs. His response to your Melvern info request is below.

Craig,

2011 samples revealed a very good crappie fishery. However, 2012 samples (if truly representative) indicated that the population had changed. We caught about half of the number of crappie sampled in 2011, with fewer fish 10"+. Fish were in poorer condition as mean relative weights decreased by about 20 points for different size groups. Adult shad catch dropped by about 70% over the past 3 years. Young of the year (YOY) gizzard shad abundance in 2012 was dismal, if our samples are accurate. 20 electrofishing sites yielded only 22 YOY shad. I would expect to see 1000+ in a decent production year. After getting such low results from electrofishing, I went back and pulled 20 seine samples. 20 seine samples produced 19 YOY shad, I would expect to see 1000+ with this gear also. During drought I expect production in general to be lower than normal, due to lack of runoff bringing nutrients into the reservoir. In addition, Melvern seems to be excellent habitat for zebra mussels, as they have spread all over the lake. Certainly, an argument could be made that the drought and high abundance of zebra mussels are important factors that should reduce shad production and sportfish growth, production, and survival. Water clarity may have negatively impacted sampling as well - especially electrofishing and seining as these samples occurred on sunny days. Fish may have just not been in the shallows where we were sampling. Clarity was so clear that I observed a family snorkeling on the north end of the dam! Of course, this is just one year's sample. Additional years' data will help determine the accuracy of 2012 samples. If you need more info, let me know.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Richard results not far off of what I thought.