Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Signs Bill to Reduce Boat Taxes

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Governor Signs Bill to Reduce Boat Taxes

Link to KDWPT news release HERE

GOVERNOR BROWNBACK SIGNS BILL THAT WILL REDUCE BOAT TAXES

April 25, 2013

Kansas boaters to save on watercraft taxes beginning in 2014

PRATT – In last November’s election, a majority of Kansas voters supported amending the state constitution to allow legislators to change the way watercraft are taxed. Legislators acted on the issue this spring, and the result was the passage of SB83 which Governor Brownback signed on April 16. The new law will tax boats at 11.5 percent of assessed value in 2014 and 5 percent in 2015 and thereafter.

Currently, watercraft in Kansas are taxed at 30 percent of the assessed value, which often results in a property tax many times greater than that paid by boat owners in neighboring states. Because of that disparity, thousands of Kansas boaters have opted to register their boats in other states. As a result, Kansas counties lose out on the property taxes and the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism receives less funding from boat registrations. The fee for registering a boat in Kansas is $30 for three years, and that money goes to boater education programs, boat access facilities and other recreational boating programs. Kansas also receives U.S. Coast Guard funding based on the number of registered boats.

This change is good news for boaters, as well as marine dealers since it may prompt Kansans to upgrade their boat or buy a new boat. And it should convince Kansans to register their boats here.

For more information on registering your boat, visit www.ksoutdoors.com and click “Boating / Registering Your Boat.”
    Last edited by Craig Johnson; 04-25-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add link to KDWPT News Release

Post Thanks / Like

great info would not of believed it till i saw it thanks craig for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Craig......that's really good news.....maybe I should sell my boat now and buy another one in 2015!!
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

Lower taxes, means more people will buy boats and someone is going to have to make them,equals more jobs. Just a great idea. You suppose someone else could think about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah right. I doubt a couple hundred bucks in taxes is keeping many people who can really afford a nice boat from buying one. This is like putting a Band-Aid on a sliced carotid. The problem is a lot of people are just trying to survive right now. Old browny boy has no clue.
    Likes kcsa75 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I put off buying a boat for awhile due to the high taxes. I know there are tons of folks that register their boats in other states. Heck if I lived closer to a border I'd store it in another state just so I could register it there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Yeah right. I doubt a couple hundred bucks in taxes is keeping many people who can really afford a nice boat from buying one. This is like putting a Band-Aid on a sliced carotid. The problem is a lot of people are just trying to survive right now. Old browny boy has no clue.
    Well Fairweather I don't know what planet you live on but my taxes for 2012 on a 2011 Basscat was $1200!!!! That's another $100 a month in fricking taxes so this IS a big deal and the only reason they're changing this excessive tax rate is they found out thousands of boat owners (tired of paying a 30% tax rate) were registering their boats in other states and they don't want to lose money to other states. Good or bad 'ol brownie got this one right. IMHO
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

I live on earth. I didn't say it won't save money and I didn't say it wasn't a big deal. I said it won't make a bunch of people run out and buy a boat. Obviously the taxes didn't keep you from buying a boat. Mostly in response to this statement "Lower taxes, means more people will buy boats and someone is going to have to make them,equals more jobs." No doubt the state will make more money now, but don't confuse that for the governor looking out for the citizens. He's using and pillaging kansas and its citizens as a political platform.

Post Thanks / Like

You obviously aren't a fan of Brownback and even though I voted for him there's things I'm not happy about either but this tax wasn't fair and at least it was addressed and all of us boat owners will benefit and I'm sure the states only motive was to collect more tax money.......there's never enough for the government; state or federal. Looks like Zummy was one person that put off buying a boat because of high taxes and when I found out how much my taxes were gonna be I did consider scaling back how much to spend but after having the same aluminum sled for 20 years I decided to bite the bullet.

Post Thanks / Like

So the $962 I paid in December will now be $350ish this December???????? then $160ish next year.......??????

Happier ....not happy. Its money i can now add to a kicker fund vs personal property tax fund (Which I still do not understand)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast