Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on how to fish this cove?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any advice on how to fish this cove?

This is a cove on a lake in Oklahoma, by my families land. The crappie should be spawning soon, if not already. Any help on how to fish it? We will be fishing from the bank mainly, but we do have a 2 man boat as well. It is easy to walk around so can be bank fished from both sides. There is standing timber throughout the cove. We are going to be using minnows and jigs. Im pretty new to crappie fishing so just wondering where a good starting point would be or how any of you guys would fish it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a depth finder on your two-man, I would try to locate brush on those drops, (the areas where the contour lines are close together) this is where the big females will be staging. Either mark it with a buoy and anchor 20-25 feet away and cast a slip bobber set-up and a minnow and just let it sit. Or, rig up a couple of jig poles with your favorite jigs and slowly troll over the brush. From the bank, cast a minnow about 18" under a bobber and let it sit. You can also cast a jig/bobber combo and slowly retrieve it back to you, giving it a little pop every now and then. Set the hook at the slightest twitch. I hope this helps, good luck!
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, most important thing, watch the locals!!
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I think, for spawn, they'll be close to the bank, plus, they want a steep dropoff (quick escape I figure),
    So, I'd fish that place on the left side where the contour lines are real close together = quick changing btm, probably deep....
    JMHO
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for any structure with your depth finder, especally on drop offs. Also I would definatley throw a jig all the way around the cove on the banks. I try to find willow trees or any kind of tree laid in the water or over hanging it (Shade for the crappie) and jig it until you are tierd of throwin'. Take a break and jig some more. best of luck!!
    Time to play TUG-A-WAR!! HEY....you gotta' hook em to cook em!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    If you have a depth finder on your two-man, I would try to locate brush on those drops, (the areas where the contour lines are close together) this is where the big females will be staging. Either mark it with a buoy and anchor 20-25 feet away and cast a slip bobber set-up and a minnow and just let it sit. Or, rig up a couple of jig poles with your favorite jigs and slowly troll over the brush. From the bank, cast a minnow about 18" under a bobber and let it sit. You can also cast a jig/bobber combo and slowly retrieve it back to you, giving it a little pop every now and then. Set the hook at the slightest twitch. I hope this helps, good luck!
    Ditto. I'd do the same thing.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Nice screen shot. Did you happen to find that after I posted the link for that webpage? I hope some people are getting some good use out of that.
    Nothing left to do but Smile Smile Smile

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me, I'd start fishing the Shallow water and standing timber location on that map.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did hardydk1! Great link, it is very useful! I will be using it quite often. And thanks for all the responses guys! I wish I could get out there and fish it today, too bad I gotta work.

Post Thanks / Like

If on bank I would fish right side for spawn fish because creek runs on that side ,then I would go to other side and fish where creek go on other side and deeper water.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast