Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rigging in ne

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging in ne

ne allows only 2 poles per fisherman. 2 hooks per pole. can't spider rig that way. spider rigging is an addictive, fun way to fish crappie. what i don't understand is: game and parks sets the limit; so what difference does it make how many poles you use to try to catch your legal limit. most people don't catch their limit anyway, even spider rigging. y'all oughta start prompting g&p to air out their thinking some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    ne allows only 2 poles per fisherman. 2 hooks per pole. can't spider rig that way. spider rigging is an addictive, fun way to fish crappie. what i don't understand is: game and parks sets the limit; so what difference does it make how many poles you use to try to catch your legal limit. most people don't catch their limit anyway, even spider rigging. y'all oughta start prompting g&p to air out their thinking some.
    I guess in the traditional sense of spiderigging, no a person fishing Nebraska waters may only use two poles, but I typically have both of those rods set in a traditional t-bar rod holder and push my baits. I guess this seems to me like tightlining, but no we don’t have 8 or 12 hanging off the front. Its nice when two of us are fishing then of course we have 4 rods spread out on the bow.
    Iowa has just changed their regs to allow anglers to purchase a 3rd pole permit. Kansas also has this permit available. I’m pushing for this baby step here in Nebraska hopefully the commissioners here my voice.
    As some insight, the regulation for two poles here in Nebraska is an ethics rule and not a biological regulation. This statue is meant to provide some kind of spreading out of the harvest so to speak and make the harvest itself ethical. As you and I both know the old saying of 10% of the fisherman catch 100% of the fish, that means, yes no matter how many rods you constrict good anglers too, they’re going to get their limit. These ethical fish and wildlife regulations have and always will have debate and I don’t know if anyone can say that they are always “right” or “wrong”. Very good debate dwaw and this is something all fishermen should discuss time to time.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

i'd like to see it happen. the "ethic" is established by the legal limit of fish. hopefully based in science; otherwise, its just one man's subjective judgement, science "be damned". while you're pushing those folks, maybe a 6 hook limit would be superior to a 3 pole limit, in that, a person could spread 6 poles w/ 1 jig each. ' be a lot more fun that way and the fish limit stays the same. i fish 6 poles, could fish 8, with 1 jig each and stay plenty busy a lot of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

thats why i like going fishing with EB. really looking forward to this year since ive been getting into spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

in nebraska, growing up, and beyond well into my 60's, i was a bobber and minnow guy when it came crappie fishing; ' always seem to work so why change. then got introduced to spider rigging. loved it. so i bought a boat specifically for crappie, get out once a week, or so, year 'round. and since last fall have given up using minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    in nebraska, growing up, and beyond well into my 60's, i was a bobber and minnow guy when it came crappie fishing; ' always seem to work so why change. then got introduced to spider rigging. loved it. so i bought a boat specifically for crappie, get out once a week, or so, year 'round. and since last fall have given up using minnows.
    I'm confused...why the question about Sherman in the other thread. If you grew up in Nebraska, you know as much about the "best Lake" as anyone else on the Nebraska forum? Are you holding out on us?
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

not really. the only time i went to sherman for crappie all i caught were walleyes and that was 35 yrs ago.

Post Thanks / Like

So how many poles and hooks are you allowed in VA? In your opinion what’s the best lake down there or your favorite place to go?

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

there is no limit on the # of poles, only the number of fish. best crappie lake is kerr res on the va,nc border. size and numbers and there is no limit on crappie there. i fish close to home, about 12 minutes from my door. most of the va state owned lakes around here are tm electric only.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter how Many rods you fish with, as far as I am concerned. I go fishing for the enjoyment of just being on the water. If you use a bunch of rods that means that you get done fishing quicker. I am not into spider rigging all that much. I enjoy the battle of just figuring out what and how they want dinner. I will at times set a couple of rods in a holder on each side of the boat like P4P does and just push the baits around. I mainly do this when I have someone in the boat that isn't to adapt at catching and have them drop the line over the side of the boat and will pull them through the fish. If I have a couple of guys in the boat I will do a side drift and let the lines out the side and use the Trolling motor to stay on the contour line, or creek channel which ever we are fishing.
    In Mn you are only allowed 1 pole to fish with. When I fish the boundary waters up there I will buy a SD license to fish with because you can use 2 poles there. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast