Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pomona

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Pomona

I fished Pomona Lake yesterday for the first time and I have to say I was not very successful. I caught 10 fish and had five keepers. The keepers were nice fish. The best Crappie that I have caught since moving to Kansas have been in Pomona.(just moved here in March of this year) I did'nt have the numbers but the quality was nice. I fished the 110 Mile Creek arm of the lake. Thousands of tree's in the creek. I dipped literally dozens and dozens of tree's. Water depth anywhere from 10-16ft. The bait was a Yum Beavertail , a bait I have caught hundreds of Crappie. I would like to unlock the secrets of Pomona, it appears this lake has quality fish in it.

Any tips for Pomona this time of year. I am slowly learning the lakes in the area. I am very pleased with the quality of good crappie water close to Olathe. Perry has been the best for me so far. I have not fished Clinton yet but hope to soon. Hillsdale is not bad but all the boat traffic sucks. I am sure it will slow down after the holiday.

Last edited by Hef; 09-03-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

hey, I was out at Melvern lake all weekend it is about 20 mins south of pamona and twice as big plus i fished hillsdale. I think the bite was bad real real slow in both lakes. My fish finder screen showed me sitting on 100's but still no bites. And everyone we talked to coming of the lake said the same thing.

Pamona is a great lake, i just think it was a bad bite weekend. Something had them turned off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will be back to Pomona, it does look like a great crappie lake. I am going Sunday to either Perry or Pomona. Any reports for either lake in the last 24hrs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hef,

Are you a T. Huckabee convert with the long poles in standing timber?

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Pomona last week and did about the same thing.
    I left Pomona and drove 191 miles to oologah I had my limit of nice crappie by 2pm and came home.
    I should have camped there all week. most of the fish were 11" to 15" I had 7 fished that would weigh close to 12 lbs. pound for pound that is one fine lake

Post Thanks / Like

Starfish,

Todd Huckabee is the man. I fished with him last year and learned more about crappie fishing in one day than I ever thought was possible. Todd is the real deal, all the good things you hear about his crappie fishing is true. Book a trip with him it will improve your crappie fishing, I promise and you will get to fish Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. Eufaula is the best crappie lake in this part of the United States. I have fished it for the last 20 years. I now fish the timber with a 10ft Todd Huckabee rod, it is a great rod, in my opinion alot better than the Wally Marshall rod. The hotter the temp. the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Fox,

Oologah is a great crappie lake. Eufaula is my favorite with Oologah a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Hef,
    Everything you say about Huckabee is absolutely true. I have fished with him 5 or 6 times. Every trip you pick up stuff that helps ya catch more crappie. Well worth the $$'s. My last 2 trips we used his 11' rods and they work great. Most of my fishing time is spent on Oologah and Eufaula.

beakus Guest

I'm new to this place and crappie fishing so i'll start asking questions.first off are there any good areas around wichita?where do you start with live bait of mostly jigs?i just got a 18ft jon boat so i was thiinking of looking for sunking tree structer and docks for cool weather fishing?