Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Line for Vertical Jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preferred Line for Vertical Jigging

Hey All,

I'm just about to get started in trying to learn how to vertical jig...can't wait to feel the thump. Fortunately, there's been a lot of good information come forth here on the forum recently. Not to mention, I've found many good threads from the past that give some good instruction. I've got me a good 9' jig pole, outfitted with a small spinning reel, some BG Baby Shads, Charlie Brewer Sliders, and a good variety of Grousefly's jig heads. My question: What is your preferred line when you're jiggin' the trees, stumps and brush piles? I most certainly know to use hi-vis line, as that is what I use anyway on my casting rods--just much easier to see the strike. I fish a dark-water river, and use a 6 lb. test P-line copoly line on my ultralight casting rods. Very pleased with this line, but I just wonder, from those who bring so much experience to the table, what type of line gives you the most benefit for this particular technique? I'm sure there will be several different opinions, but I welcome them all...what you prefer, and why.

Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mr. Crappie hi-vis. in 8lb on my jig poles with a 6lb Mr. Crappie Camo leader. The lo-vis leader may not be necessary, but I have seen days where it made the difference, so I just make a habit of using it all the time. I like the strength of the Mr. Crappie line and the stretch of the mono comes in handy if you are heavy-handed on the hookset like I am. There are many good lines out there and I have tried a lot of them. This is just the best that I have found for me so far.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

6# vicious hi vis
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

oh lawd, another can of worms opened here, lol. Reasons for diff color and weight line: water clarity, current, type of cover jigging, size of the fish your catching, sensitivity, line dia, PERSONAL PREFERENCE, etc. If your gonna be pulling fish out of tree tops then common sense says your gonna need hevvier line so the line doesnt fray and break as easy, in clear water you may need to use low vis or flourocarbon. I think most would agree try and go with the smalled dia line you can get away with, not the lowest test. Some 2lb test is just as thick as 4lb test, only not as strong. If you know you need to use 8lb test at a minimum go with the smallest dia 8lb test you can find........just my opinion. But the all around best line i have found to fish with is Vicious 6 and 4 lb test......they make great line IMO
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bigal, I reread your post and to me you are already set up ,no need for a change
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Bigal, I reread your post and to me you are already set up ,no need for a change
    I agree.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Braid for the sensitivity especially when fishing deep. I just bought a spool of Stren fused line I have never seen before. It is 8 lb 3 lb diameter. It is supposed to glow blue neon above water and disappear under water. I'll report on it once I get a chance to use it some. I haven't seen any difference between braid or HiVis as far as bites go. If that river your fishing is Dark as in Tanic like in the swamps I don't think color or size is going to affect the fish biting. One big thing is kinda matching your line size to jig size to get the fall rate you want.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I like Mr Crappie for me is the best deal out there for the money in 8lb test. Just bought 3 1200 yard spools for around 6 bucks apiece at Walmart. Cant beat it for that quality of line. I prefer Clear or Camo. Vicious Line is another line I like.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

Really surprised at the results of this so far. I was expecting a lot more braid to be suggested. Not that I use it as I hate trying to cast the stuff with light baits seems to knot real bad for me. But if I ever set up a pole just for vertical jigging I might be inclined to spool it with braid just for the sensitivity.
    Likes KodiakKing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Really surprised at the results of this so far. I was expecting a lot more braid to be suggested. Not that I use it as I hate trying to cast the stuff with light baits seems to knot real bad for me. But if I ever set up a pole just for vertical jigging I might be inclined to spool it with braid just for the sensitivity.
    I use 6lb ultra clear mono on all but 2 of my setups. I have 2 that are spooled with 30lb braid (power pro) and the braid is far more sensitive at the 25+ foot mark for me and the wifey anyway...lol
    but I do not like braid for any other method of crappie fishing. It is terribly visable and too much line drag for much of anything else...imo

Peace and Tight Lines

CS
    Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast