Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock Shooting questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting questions

Do you dock shoot? #1 what rod length do you use? #2 What size line do you use? What size head weight is your favorite? Looks like (Lord Willing) I'll close on a lot on Weiss this Friday...a dream I've had for years...I hope to retire in 5 years...I have tried to shoot a little using 1/24th heads...was not pleased with my early performances...Wally Marshall talked me into a 7' rod...lew's I have shorter rods I will see how the longer rod works..using 6lb test!...Weiss is covered up with docks, it will take a life time to learn...any help you can provide will be great! When I bass fish I skipped docks now shooting with a tiny jig..guess its similar? Boat position etc. thanks liftbite
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Use 5 1/2 to 6 ft rod and 4 to 6 lb line and jigs 1/32 to 1/16 weight, a bulky body will skip better, if shallow or much to hang on would use 1/32 to keep bait up on slow reeling, on hallow tube bait with head in tube then hold hook instead of head in order to keep tube from tearing up from pressure of holding it by head,tube will skip real well, oh, the rod must have a little backbone to it. As for docks look for the deeper one in the area, darker ones,lower ones, older ones and bigger ones, they can be in the shallowest to the deepest part ,early moning at edges and sunny days in darkest part. Once found most will be in same area at other docks until a change like wind side, cloudy or late evening , practice at home will sure help when on water,you should get to being able to shoot in a Coffey can in order to catch fish others miss as more and more are going to shooting docks,real extra slow and watch line and use high vis line ,it will not scare them and will help you
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 4'6" or 5' rod, 4lb hi viz line and 1/32 or lighter jigs, panfish assasins or similar body style will skip a bit more to get further back into the dark corners, etc. I do use jigs with hair at times, usually 1/32 or smaller, depends on what works. It's trial and error just like any other attempt to catching crappie. Older docks are better (less chemicals from the wood) deeper water is usually better, watch the line for movement. I practice by opening the OH garage door about 6-12" and then skipping it thru that opening or shooting it thru, and aim for a 5 gal bucket as well. I use a weighted float for practice, but when using a jig, don't hold the jig by the hook, only by the head
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

jimp,You said don't hold the jig by the hook but by the head? I was thinking by the hook for some reason thinking if I held by the head I'd get stuck? thanks for the garage door deal I'll work on that

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liftbite56 View Post
    jimp,You said don't hold the jig by the hook but by the head? I was thinking by the hook for some reason thinking if I held by the head I'd get stuck? thanks for the garage door deal I'll work on that
    You hold the jig by the head ... with the hook facing AWAY from your hand/fingers !!

"Genec" suggests holding by the hook ONLY when using the "insert" type jigheads ... the kind that you slip into the hollow body type tubes ... and that's just to keep you from tearing the tube, from the pressure of your fingers on the tube when holding & releasing the jig.

The garage door practice test is good for docks ... and a coffee can or 1gal bucket is a good practice test for shooting under pontoon boats. Just try & put yourself at the same approximate height above the ground/driveway, as you would be while in the boat on the water.

Here's a couple of posts of mine, that may be of some benefit to you : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html

Here's a follow-up technique that I've used to catch a few more fish from docks, even after having extensively shot the dock : Crappie Pappy Article

ALL of my "dock shooting" has been done on Weiss (Ala) & Watts Bar (Tenn). I've shot docks with 5ft - 8ft rods ... and prefer a 5'6" - 6'6" rod with fast tip action. Hi-vis line is key to "seeing" the bite under all lighting conditions.

(note: the posts are from 7yrs ago, and some of the equipment I used may have changed ... but the technique is the same.)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use 5' 6" BASS PRO SHOP Microlites with Pflueger President reels. I use Crappie Max HI VIS 4# line due to my eyes. If not I would use Trilene Sensation. I prefer 1/24 hand tied jigs with black head, white body and yellow or chartreuse tails. Color choices based on water color and clarity. Practice, practice, practice. Work each dock from every angle and get as far back under them as possible. When you get as far back as you can twitch the end of the rod. Do not lift up on the rod as this pulls the jig out of the strike zone after you worked so hard to get it there. Good Luck. I am going to shoot docks twice this week.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 1/2 and 5' browning ultra lites combos from bps with 6lb test... All the other post are spot on.

I shoot 1/16 slab slayers ... If its real windy and i need a lil extra weight i just put a split shot on with it... If im fishn shallow (less than 5 feet) i use hair jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Try different lenght rods and you'll find the lenght you prefer, some prefer the shorter rods, some the longer. I've not tried the longer (6'+) rods as I feel comfy with the shorter rods and have not had any troubles getting to the dark spots I've been aiming for. the longer rods will shoot the jig a bit further if you need to gain some distance. I was at a fishing seminar and Russ Bailey perfers a longer (6 - 6'6") rod but does use a 7' , he uses B&M rods but I have not tried one, a bit pricey at ~$55 or so.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Already good info posted above. I use a St.Croix 6' lite power fast action rod with Shimano 1000 series reels. 1/32- 1/16 jig for dock shooting, happy with the 6' rod, have tried shorter but finding a sensitive 5'-5'6" rod some decent backbone can be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I finished yard work last night and took some time and sat on a center block and took my rod with 6lb hi vis. 1/24th head and started shooting out in the yard... then under my boat trailer on the drive way...I was with in a 12" lane at my targets and before dark started getting better... I think I'm going to love this!!!I was using a 7' Wally M. sig. series rod worked great! Oh I went on line yesterday and watched some you t videos and they did it both ways holding at the bottom of hook and the head..I watched as the ones who held the head and how it was positioned that's how I did it holding the head worked great! Now with Weiss and the hundreds of docks..become a pro dock shooter!!!
    Last edited by liftbite56; 04-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast