Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which jig to use??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which jig to use??

Newbie question here. Which jig to use in spring 1/16 or 1/8?? Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16!
    2005 War Eagle, 50hp Mercury 4 stroke

Post Thanks / Like

1/8-1/4
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what the fish want that day they could want a slower fall or faster and if its really windy you will want to have a bigger jig just experiment what works best that day hope this helps
    Fishing's not about luck it how you wiggle your worm

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on location and weather conditions I've found two 1/16 about 12-14 inches apart and a slow jigging motion retrieve works well. Again location lake or river, weather conditions, and depth of crappie all matter when choosing jig head weight

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carloss View Post
    Newbie question here. Which jig to use in spring 1/16 or 1/8?? Thanks for any help.
    For me, it depends on how deep the fish are ... how windy the conditions are ... whether I'm casting or vertically presenting the jig ... or how fast I want the jig to fall thru the water column, as to what weight jighead I'm using. Also to consider, are how far you may need to cast the jig, or what size baitfish are the Crappie likely feeding on.

Normally, I'm using a 1/16oz jig for most all applications, but there are times when a 1/32, 1/24, 3/32, or even a 1/64oz jig may be a better choice. There really isn't any set weight to use, based solely on season. And you can always add weight to the line, above the jig, when using the small/light jigs ... for most all presentation methods ... if conditions necessitate it, or allow it.

The biggest factor, IMHO, for choosing a certain weight of jig ... is what presentation method I'm using, and in what depth of water. For me, that's usually casting & swimming/slow rolling the jig back on a slightly bowed line ... with a 1/16oz jig. If I'm dock shooting, I may switch out to a 1/32oz jig if the water is relatively shallow or I need a slower fall rate.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the info guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the pattern you get on it may change from day to day
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32 works good for me. I got a mold from BassPro Shop and make mine, I use red hooks and reg., I like the red best

Post Thanks / Like

Get several different sizes wind and fall rate play a huge part in the details of what that want and how their being used. Single pole and casting with light wind you can use a lighter jig. High wind single pole you may want as heavy as 1/4 or 3/8 oz.
    Balzout Mounts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast