Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wateree, Stumpy Pond, or Fishing Creek?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wateree, Stumpy Pond, or Fishing Creek?

I'm planning a crappie fishiing trip to the Lake Wateree area this coming weekend. I usually put in on Beaver Creek and I know a little about the State Park Area and Singleton Creek. I own a lake map and I used to bass fish the lake a bit, so I am relatively familiar with it. I have also been successful on Fishing Creek fishing for crappie around the mouth of Bear Creek. (I've never been on Stumpy Pond but I know where it is and how to get there, but that's all.) If you had your choice of Wateree, Stumpy Pond, or Fishing Creek, where would you go? Which one of these waters is producing the best right now and where? What time of day? How would you fish? How deep? Minnows? Jigs (what color)? Rigs? Trolling? Drifting? (Please be specific because I'm taking a couple teenagers and would really like to show them a good time and that there is more to life than video games!) I need any and all of the information that you guys can throw at me. I sure would appreciate it. I promise to post a report when I return. (I know taking plenty of snacks is a must!!!!)
    Last edited by Rhino; 12-06-2004 at 04:13 PM.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    I'm planning a crappie fishiing trip to the Lake Wateree area this coming weekend. I usually put in on Beaver Creek and I know a little about the State Park Area and Singleton Creek. I own a lake map and I used to bass fish the lake a bit, so I am relatively familiar with it. I have also been successful on Fishing Creek fishing for crappie around the mouth of bear creek. (I've never been on Stumpy Pond but I know where it is and how to get there.) If you had your choice of Wateree, Stumpy Pond, or Fishing Creek, where would you go? Which one of these waters is producing the best right now? What time of day? How would you fish? How deep? Minnows? Jigs? Rigs? Trolling? Drifting? (Please be specific because I'm taking a couple teenagers and would really like to show them a good time and that there is more to life than video games!) I need any and all of the information that you guys can throw at me. I sure would appreciate it. I promise to post a report when I return. (I know taking plenty of snacks is a must!!!!)
    If you are there for the whole weekend , I would try all three but would start with stumpy.That place is a crappie factory as it is the perfect habitat for crappies.Also the water is always relatively calm there and theres plenty of water to cover.I personally night fish mostly with the lights in the water and such.I would go early morning as the latest reports say they've been turning off around 10:00am.Fish the deep brush in the morning and the flats (shallow) in the afternoon with minnows.Cedar creek bait and tackle has the best minnows in the tri county area so deffinately drop in on him and ask for a report.He's usually pretty good about that.He's turned us around a couple times to go home if they weren't hitting that week at the cost of his own minnow sales.Good luck....E. BTW We were in cedar creek sunday and did fair trolling the dropoffs but not what the place is famous for. PS. Watch out for the stumps , thats where the name came from and will give your transom a bad day if your'e not careful.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

rhino, we was down at wateree this past saturday and traveled the lake from dam to dam looking for stripers and almost all of the boats we saw that was crappie fishing was iin the mouth of wateree creek and a little above. a few was in the mouth of taylors also.. we seen some guys lifting fish in the area. we went all the way upriver to cedar creek from wateree creek and never saw another boat so im guessin the hot action was where we see all the boats stacked. from taylors creek to the dam wed see an occasional crappie rig but most of em was bunched up at the mouth of wateree creek. Im planning to be in the colonels creek area again friday looking for stripers. a green sea ark with a crappie decal on the side. If you see me, guve us a holler.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys! What do you think the rain will do?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys! What do you think the rain will do?
    I always just go to different weather sites until I find one that says it's ok to fish that day :D ....E.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rhino , where in the up state do you live?I'm in Blacksburg on 85....E.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Pickens County. Just east of Table Rock State Park. North of Hwy 11.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Pickens County. Just east of Table Rock State Park. North of Hwy 11.
    I used to attend tamassee dar school , just up the road from you.It's in a small town called salem.Do you ever fish jocassee or keowee?I've heard there were crappie in jocassee but have always been on vacation when I go there.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right I don't live to far from the DAR School. I have fished both lakes over the years, but for bass (and trout). A little crappie fishing on Keowee (around the "skimmer wall" or when I can find a brush-pile. Mostly in the spring.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stumpy Pond,No question is the best right now.

Stumpy Pond would be my pick.The fish there just seem to hit better.Minnows seem to catch more fish than jigs in this place.I use the tight lining method. Just slowly troll minnows right off the bottom in about 22 to 24 ft of water and you will catch fish.Hope this helps.I had some friends boys with me the week of Thanksgiving and they had a ball.Caught 60 Sat.,84 Sun.Great Fishing To ALL!!!!!!!!!