Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time crappie fishing tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night time crappie fishing tips

I had done a search for this and saw where there was an article written by someone who everybody gave a great amount of props to. There was a link to the article. Which no longer works. So now I ask you

How does everybody fish at night for crappie?

What time spam usually?

Kind of submersible light?

Rod length?

Minnow or jig?

Average depth?

Moon stage?

Structure or creek channel?

Looking for some insight as the summer approaches and I would love to get out there and I'm sure others are searching wondering the same things.

Also if I forgot anything that you see as informative or a must please post it! Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pier252 View Post
    I had done a search for this and saw where there was an article written by someone who everybody gave a great amount of props to. There was a link to the article. Which no longer works. So now I ask you

How does everybody fish at night for crappie?
    I anchor up over a crib in 8-12' of water.

What time spam usually?
    7pm until 12:30am- Tournament hours. I like to get to my spot and set up before darkness falls.

Kind of submersible light?
    I use a green fluorescent light about 12" long and drop it about 2' below the surface. I also hang my Coleman white gas lantern about 3' over the water, about 3-4' away from the boat. The light draws the bugs, the bugs swam around the light and not me. When they die, they drop into the water, feeding fish. The green light takes about an hour to draw in the bait, and the lantern give the bait something to eat. The crappie are drawn to the bait. My light is 12v, and I plug it into an accessory outlet I installed in the boat, just for that purpose.

Rod length?
    5'6" and 6'6". Two pole limit in Illinois.

Minnow or jig?
    Minnow on a bare hook.

Average depth?
    Depth depends on where the Crappie are, Crappie feed up, in other words they look up to eat. So they will be below their food. Start high and go low, or start low and work your way up. Up to you.

Moon stage?
    I prefer a full moon for safety reasons. Plus I can keep the lights off in the boat so they don't draw the bugs to me. Remember you must have an anchor light on while your anchored up. The Coleman lantern suffices this requirement nicely.

Structure or creek channel?
    Cover, preferable fish cribs with fish on them.

Looking for some insight as the summer approaches and I would love to get out there and I'm sure others are searching wondering the same things.
    HOI Crappie Club holds night tournaments for this very reason. Entrance fee is $20 per two man team, and if you want to get in the big fish pot its another $10. or $15 per head. Best part, at the end of the night, we talk shop. Who did what, what worked, what didn't work, etc. At the next club meeting the winning team gets to tell the rest of us how they won. We set up the club as a way to learn how to catch crappie. You get to see first hand what worked and didn't work. With 8-10 boats per tournament, get a variety of methods at the same time. If you pay attention, you can learn what worked in those conditions. We have had a variety of conditions too. Besides, summer gets pretty darn hot under the sun in the heat of the day. Night fishing also opens up other options.

Also if I forgot anything that you see as informative or a must please post it! Thanks guys!
    One last thing. Where to fish? I prefer to fish the outside edges of the swarming bait, or push on through and present my bait lower than the swarm. Trying to separate my bait from the rest.

I learned all of that night fishing tournaments.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info! Thanks my friend. Hoping to get into it this summer and really have no idea where to start.

Post Thanks / Like

I love fishing at night for crappie, you will to. Hanr3 gave some good advice bout covered it all. I have made a reflector out of a pizza delivery box wrapped in aluminum foil for my lantern to keep the light out of my eyes while fishing,

Post Thanks / Like

What time of year do y'all start fishing at night?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice ideas here. Good post.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I wrap a piece of aluminum foil on the inside of my lantern globe to direct the light away from me
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pier252 View Post
    What time of year do y'all start fishing at night?
    You can night fish year round, however I only go in the summer. Too dang gum hot to fish during the day. For me, 90+ degree temps.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone ever night fish without the lights you place in the water? I am thinking about placing to black lights on the front of my boat with flourescent line that will show up good and troll like i do in the day time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Lucy View Post
    Does anyone ever night fish without the lights you place in the water? I am thinking about placing to black lights on the front of my boat with flourescent line that will show up good and troll like i do in the day time?
    That will work. Fish dont need light in order to have a meal!! I know a guy that only fishes at night here on my local lake, and all he uses is a little head light so he can see to bait and re-tie. I have also vertical jigged brush in total darkness. Most people know that fish get more active right at daylight and right before dark, but its the hours BEFORE daylight and AFTER dark that are the best, they are missing the best bite!!
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast