Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hillbilly depth finder

Post Thanks / Like

Default My hillbilly depth finder

So I wanted a way to tell how deep the water is, since I'm going to a lake I am not very familiar with (yet). I don't have an electronic depth finder (again, yet), so here is a solution that popped into my head last night... I have three anchors on my 12' jon boat, and I tied knots every 5 feet in all of my anchor lines. This way, when I drop anchor, I just count the knots as they drop into the water, multiply by 5, and I have a very good idea of the depth at that location. This obviously won't tell me where the fishies are, but at least I can find a good depth for the water temp/clarity.

I've found so many good ideas in these forums, I felt like I needed to contribute something back - even if it is a pretty basic idea... Hope it helps someone...

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad idea for those without electronics.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, the river captains had a man at the bow dropping a measured line and shouting up to the captain the depth. So it was and can still be an effective means of depth sounding.
    Thanx for the share.

Peace

CS
    Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Another trick is to weave or tie colored yarn or ribbon through the rope at the marker spots where you would tie your knot. Knots weaken the rope and are rough running through the hands sometimes. The trick I saw was a easily remembered color combination ie red=5 ft,yellow=10 ft, and green=15ft and then blue was 20ft for "deep"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe170w View Post
    Another trick is to weave or tie colored yarn or ribbon through the rope at the marker spots where you would tie your knot. Knots weaken the rope and are rough running through the hands sometimes. The trick I saw was a easily remembered color combination ie red=5 ft,yellow=10 ft, and green=15ft and then blue was 20ft for "deep"
    Oh yeah! Even better!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an old rod I kept in the boat with a heavy bell sinker. I would lower the weight to the bottom and real the rod tip right down to the water. I used a 6' rod and I would estimate the amount of line from the rod tip. It was easier than lowering an anchor.Sometimes while bouncing that old sinker around I would find trees, stumps rocks ect and would use the info on future trips.
    I imagine a weight on a 12' crappie rod would really let you check the depths!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, my father used a boat-length bamboo pole to check depth AND bottom composition at likely panfish locations. By tapping the bamboo pole against the bottom, you can quickly determine what is below you.

Post Thanks / Like

river captains had a man at the bow dropping a measured line and shouting up to the captain the depth. "mark twain," the cry for a measured river depth of two fathoms (also the pen name for Samuel Clemons). A fathom is equal to 6 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - some great ideas guys! I may have to give them a try!

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't have any electronics. On my first drop with a jig i let it go to the bottom and then reel down until my rod tip is touching the water. I pull up and measure against my rod as i go. Ive found underwater brush as well as depth changes this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast