Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling rig?

Been trying to come up with a trolling rig that is easy to construct. I am getting old, and multiple lines with multiple knots is hard on the old eyes. Was thinking maybe this would work. A single 30 inch peice of mono, with hardware attached with multiple double palomar knots. MIght could even attach a swivel snap at the bottom to allow changes in weights without having to re-tie. I have not tied any up, yet. So I was wanting to see if anybody had any comments before I did.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Iwannafish; 04-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do something similar. I have several pre-tied hooks/jigs with a 9-12 in leader and a loop knot on end. These I keep wrapped up on Jindy rigs (like pool noodles). The trolling rig itself has a snap swivel on bottom for the weight and leader attachment. Snap swivel on top for the top leader. All my rods have a snap swivel as well on the end on the line. In this manner, I can switch out leaders with different jigs as well as switch out weights. I never have to tie anything while on the water. I fish by myself most of the time, so I find it easier for me.
    Randy Andres

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an opinion, think you would have a lot of trouble with your bottom hook winding around weight. I'm sure it would work. Most that want weight on bottom use two loop knots between barrel swivel and weight. With about 6-10 in between bottom hook and weight. I take a spool of line, pull about 10 in of line off, run through eye of barrel swivel tie and plain clinch knot, tie a duo lock snap on tag end. Then measure out 18 in of line slide on egg sinker,then small bead then tie on another barrel swivel. Then 6-8 in dropper tied to bottom swivel with another Duolock snap. Makes changing baits easy on one rig or easy to replace an entire rig. You can eliminate some of it by taking the second step or line down from first swivel, cut it to 20-22 in run thru egg sinker put sinker about 10 in up then thread line back thru sinker 5 times and put snap on tag end. Hope I ain't got you all messed up now.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a rig that is super simple and uses a bottom weight. #5 snap swivel on the bottom with a pollamr knot, up 9 inches tie a loop knot that will be about 4 1/2 inches, up another 12 to 14 inches and tie another 4 1/2 loop knot, up 3 or 4 inches tie another small loop knot to attach to your main line. You can put the hooks on as you go or put em on later with the loop knots.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925