Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Fishing

Im new to the whole crappie fishing gig and what little crappie i do catch when i fish i catch on minnows and im wanting to learn how to fish jigs. So any info i could get i would appreciate it. Just dont know ANYTHING about it.

Post Thanks / Like

you can cast and count them down and retrieve, drift with them suspended or vertical jig in cover. depends on the water your fishing and location of fish. i like to get rite in on them. some people arent cut out for that though. you need to be slow and very quiet when doing it. youll need some stain to the water also to vertical jig them because they spook. watch the line for the twitch of a bite or feel for the thump. work at it and dont give up. the thump of a jig bite is a wonderful thing. lol add some sent too. crappie nibbles or chunk of minnow or shad works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

well if you gonna do it , don't get no minners . once you feel the thump it is hard to give it up . I jig fish year around . Once you learn to find the fish , if you try you can catch them on a jig . I use the nibbles too . they work . and color everybody has there favorite . And you never know what the crappie want . it is all a learning curve and sometimes it's a big curve . lol just start and stay with it . good luck
    CATCH THEM ALL.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I primarily cast jigs for Crappie. I don't do a lot of vertical jigging, longline trolling, or any of the other methods, if I can cast for them. 20ft depths is about the limit on my range of depth, on a cast.

I use a variety of casting outfits, but my primary jig casting outfit is a 6'6" fast action rod (ESP PowerLite) with a 1000 series Shimano Aero reel & 6lb test Vicious hi-vis line. I use 1/16oz weedless jigheads with various plastics. I generally cast well beyond my targeted spot, and start my retrieve right after the jig hits the water. I raise the rod tip up to around the 10 o:clock position, and reel only fast enough to keep a slight bow in the line. I'm basically "swimming" or "slow rolling" the jig. I watch the line, waiting for any movement that I didn't cause. That movement can come in the form of a slight twitch, a pretty good "thump", a sudden change in direction to one side or the other, or the line can suddenly go slack (& I know the jig hasn't hit bottom). The instant I see any of these types of line movement ... I set the hook. 99.9% of the time I will stick the jig hook in the roof of that fish's mouth ... and rarely do any of them escape.

I enjoy the "thump" as much as anyone ... but, I'd rather "SEE" it, than feel it. To my way of thinking, if I can feel the fish ... it can feel ME ... and I'd rather it be a big surprise to the fish, when his "food" bites back !!

Dock shooting - I get within about 8-12ft of the outer edge of a dock, & pick a path for my jig to go in & come out ... with emphasis on any inner posts or heavily shaded water along that path. I drop the jig back to around the first guide (closest to the reel) & hold it between my thumb & index finger ... with the hook pointing AWAY from my hand. I grip the line coming off the reel with the index finger of my casting hand & open the bail. Then I'll pull the jig back about even with the reel, & hold it under the reel ... point my rod towards that pathway I picked ... aim my line (between jig & rod tip) to be just a little above parallel with the water's surface, so that the jig will skip/glance off the surface, just inside the outer edge of the dock. Once lined up, I let go of the jig ... and when it passes the end of the rod tip, I let go of the line coming off the reel. TIMING of these releases is key to a successful "shot" ... and if it's done correctly, my jig will skip several times across the surface & end up far under the dock and in line with the path I chose. Then I'll start my retrieve & follow the same procedure as mentioned above, about casting.

And, I can & do use the countdown method ... in dock shooting OR casting ... when I want to cover a lot of different water column depths. I already know that on a normal cast or shot under a dock, my jig is going to go down to around a max depth of 6-8ft on my normal retrieve speed. I can choose to retrieve a little faster if I want the jig to go shallower, or use a lighter jig ... and I go deeper by counting a "one Kentucky" second for each foot below that 6-8ft depth range that I want the jig to reach.

One other method I employ quite often is what I call "Vertical Casting" ... and this article explains that method : Crappie Pappy Article

I use weedless jigheads because I'm most often putting that jig right into the cover or in places where it's likely to encounter obstacles. I use solid body plastics because they stay on the jighead better than hollow plastics, without having to have any extra "help" (in the form of glues or retainer wires, etc).

While these methods are what I "like" to use, there are occasions where another method (or live bait) is more productive, due to the conditions or circumstances outside of my control. In those cases, I'll employ whatever means is necessary ... when I have the proper equipment to allow me to engage in those methods.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cp that was very well explained and may be one of the best ways that I have seen put to words.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Your getting some good info, but remember the biggest problem some have with a jig is moving it too much. Especially when tight lining over brush or straight down, sometimes they don't want you to move it at all so don't be over active with it. Slow and steady works no matter if trolling or casting. I have some info on my site on the How To Page and be sure to click on links to open more info on this page...
    How To

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pappy gave you some really great information. Welcome from Alabama. Here is a link where several individuals have posted their favorite rig setups. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html Ther are some excellent crappie fishing videos in this thread http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...pie-video.html that may help also.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikey,

Some good info here. And I can tell you, the words of CP come from an awful lot of experience.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Wow !!! This sure sounds like some really good info and also sounds like its coming from alot of experienced folks. Can yall go in more detail on the countdown process. Im sure it all has to do with weight of lure,line size ,etc. From what ive read so far i feel like i could go out and catch a few on the jigs if i can locate them

Post Thanks / Like

Mikey, I fish a lot like CP,as for count down I try to count a foot a second even though the weights will fall a little more for each size and each size line but that is not important but just knowing what count the fish hit,usually if fishing submerge brush I would fish if it tops out at 10 ft then I would start out counting at9 or 10 then change if that did not work after a few cast knowing I was casting in right place,as for docks I mostly shoot a 1/32 with a stinger jig, the 1/32 will not fall as quick giving the fish more time as I can reel slower than with 1/16 and will not hang as easy giving the crappie more time to come up and take it,by it being lighter it will skip better under low objects ,yesterday water was high leaving some docks one to two inches and I was shooting under them most of the time ,just had to lighten up on loading rod and still got distant I needed,we had 51 with 6 over 15 inches
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast