Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for the guides

I'm going to take a trip out of state and fish up north where I'm not familiar with the area or lake.

Would it be cheesy to pay a guide for an all-day trip, then go back the next day or two in my own boat and use what I learned to fish the same area?

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I wanted to get a guide's opinion.

I'm retired and I've never hired a guide. Is there etiquette (tips, use of equipment etc) that I should pay attention to, or should I just fish like I was with a buddy on a normal day? I'm pretty easy going and I have no idea what things your clients have done that made you roll your eyes. I hope I don't sound geeky, I'm just curious.

Thanks much,

JW

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing illegal about your intentions but I think you should discuss your plans with the guide PRIOR to the trip. I'm sure it happens all the time on public waters and there is nothing a guide can do about it except maybe go on social media and express his displeasure with you. I have several friends and clients who are guides and they face this scenario all the time.

If I was in your situation, I would talk to the guide prior to the trip and let him know I had my boat and would be fishing for a few more days. I would use the trip to learn techniques and patterns that were working and apply those to other areas of the lake besides those I fished with the guide on.

I will say this, I've never guided fishermen but I outfit and guide waterfowl hunters each winter. I don't guide on public ground, always on private ground that I have worked hard to gain access to, either thru good relations or paying a daily trespass fee. I catch one of my clients going back to property we have hunted and trying to gain access to said property by dropping my name, we will have a major problem and that person will never hunt with me again.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The lake is public, approximately 20 miles long by 12 miles wide. I'll be at a resort on that lake. I doubt if I'd be back there within a year or so after that. If it's rude to return to the same area after the guide trip, I sure wouldn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    There's nothing illegal about your intentions but I think you should discuss your plans with the guide PRIOR to the trip. I'm sure it happens all the time on public waters and there is nothing a guide can do about it except maybe go on social media and express his displeasure with you. I have several friends and clients who are guides and they face this scenario all the time.

If I was in your situation, I would talk to the guide prior to the trip and let him know I had my boat and would be fishing for a few more days. I would use the trip to learn techniques and patterns that were working and apply those to other areas of the lake besides those I fished with the guide on.

I will say this, I've never guided fishermen but I outfit and guide waterfowl hunters each winter. I don't guide on public ground, always on private ground that I have worked hard to gain access to, either thru good relations or paying a daily trespass fee. I catch one of my clients going back to property we have hunted and trying to gain access to said property by dropping my name, we will have a major problem and that person will never hunt with me again.

Post Thanks / Like

What you are wanting to do is common and most guides understand that you arent going to steal his spots. You just want him to show you how to catch a few while you are on vacation and probably wont ever fish the lake again, or at least not for a long time. Just be up front with the guide and tell him that your intentions are to learn how to fish the lake and that you will be going back to those spots for a day or two. A good guide will know the lake well enough that he can give you a few spots without even putting a dent in his cache of honey holes. Just be up front, if the first guy doesnt like the idea, then just call somebody else.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

May as well follow him around the first day GPS'ing his fishing spots and then fish them the second day yourself. Save yourself the $.

I don't really see any difference and I don't suspect the guide would either. What are you going to say if he shows up the second day with more clients and you're already there fishing his stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty much how I feel about it. I'd sure ask before returning to the same spot though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    What you are wanting to do is common and most guides understand that you arent going to steal his spots. You just want him to show you how to catch a few while you are on vacation and probably wont ever fish the lake again, or at least not for a long time. Just be up front with the guide and tell him that your intentions are to learn how to fish the lake and that you will be going back to those spots for a day or two. A good guide will know the lake well enough that he can give you a few spots without even putting a dent in his cache of honey holes. Just be up front, if the first guy doesnt like the idea, then just call somebody else.

Post Thanks / Like

I guide here in Ill. and most trips are exactly for people like yourself...looking to shorten the learning curve...some come out to just fish/catch for the day..most are looking to learn and find productive areas...once they see how to do it,they quickly find similar areas and catch them on the new spot's...I personally don't mind and encourage clients to bring the g.p.s. and mark the areas....

The Crappie Professor

Post Thanks / Like

I have clients who bring their own boats. Not a problem for me as I'm usually just slo-trolling an area and not necessarily a spot. I get a lot of people following me around anyway. I will usually point out other areas for them to fish also. Being courteous and letting the guide know what you want to do is a plus. As for tips... I never expect them but it is much appreciated.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

You are fine with what you are wanting to do. You pay the guide a lot of money to fish and learn the lake. That is what the money is for. You don't have to ask his permission to fish the spots he shows you. That is what you paid him a few hundred dollars for. Go with the guide and mark his spots and fish them and have a good time. Most people are not paying the money just to catch fish, they are paying to cut down on the time they would have to spend to find spots and learn the lake. It might be cause they only get to fish a little, they work all the time or they are just lazy. Good luck with your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just inform the guide of your intentions ahead of time, just out of courtesy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast