Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wives tales and myths versus truth...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wives tales and myths versus truth...

Over the years I've heard some things like "don't do xyz when you fish". So I thought it might be fun/informative to post a couple that I have heard and see if anybody else knows whether mine are true/false, or has any of their own to ask/answer. Some of these things have to be myths/wives tales, but who knows which ones?!?

1) Noise in an aluminum boat - this one was answered in another thread - the consensus seems to be that the noise doesn't really scare the fish away but can be annoying to dads/grandpas - lol...

2) If a fisherman is a smoker, the fish can smell it and will avoid his bait/lure until it's been in the water for a few minutes (assumedly to rinse off the smoke smell). I've heard this more for catfish (when using stink bait) than anything else, but just curious what everyone else thinks...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO ... there's a little bit of truth involved in both #1 & #2

"Talking" noise doesn't bother anyone except maybe the other anglers in the boat, as it does not transmit below the water's surface. Dropping things & fumbling around in the alum boat "can" disturb the fish, but not always.

Smoker's smell ... I've always heard this as it relates to Bass fishing, so I would guess Crappie could be just as sensitive to it. However, my cigar smoking Grandfather (R.I.P.), as well as my current smoker fishing partners & myself, have yet to see our smoking habit deter fish from biting our lures/baits.

As with most myths ... there's usually some bit of truth involved, or a twisted view or version of it, or an experience that sets the precedence for it. It's sort of like the old excuse sayings of "you ain't holding your mouth right" or "spit on your bait" .... neither of which have anything directly to do with your success or failure at catching a fish ... but are, in fact, meant to give you an excuse for your failure, and/or build your confidence (when you do succeed).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot honestly say whether it does or does not bother the fish to the point they leave an area, but an older gps unit with the seperate antenna, sonar units and livelwell pumps can be heard at least 15' below the boat and that is a fiberglass bass boat. I do however, think that noise can shut the bite down if it is excessive.

Peace and Tight Lines

CS
    Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

There's the one that you should "spit on the knot" that I hear both ways periodically.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe170w View Post
    There's the one that you should "spit on the knot" that I hear both ways periodically.
    "Wetting" a knot before you cinch it down, is to lubricate the line so that friction is reduced. The friction, from the line being tightened around itself, creates heat ... which can weaken the line.

I've never heard of this practice being considered negative

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

How bout winds from the east they bite the least, winds from the west fish bite the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeaver View Post
    How bout winds from the east they bite the least, winds from the west fish bite the best
    That one does have some truth to it ... when you consider WHY the winds are coming from each particular direction. It has to do with High & Low Pressure cells, more than wind direction alone.

Low pressure cells run counterclockwise, producing South & West winds-- High pressure cells run clockwise, producing North & East winds. Add in the warming/cooling effect of wind direction, changes in the Barometric Pressure level, and the changing weather conditions caused by either the High or Low ... and it becomes a bit clearer as to why this "saying" has lasted so long.

Winds from the East - fish bite the least
    Winds from the West - fish bite the best
    Winds from the South - blows bait in their mouth
    Winds from the North - do not go forth

It's not 100% accurate, but does have some merit (when taken in context with all the other existing "conditions")

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I heard one the other day.
    No bananas in the boat. No clue why, but I bring them on my camping/fishing weekends.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    No bananas in the boat. No clue why, but I bring them on my camping/fishing weekends.
    Absolutely bad luck......

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    That goes way back to ancient seafarers. Lots of different theories, but it's been around for hundreds of years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast