Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with throat or eye hooked crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do with throat or eye hooked crappie?

Every now and then I'll catch a crappie that is way too small to keep but has either swallowed the hook or gotten itself hooked near the eye in which case if I try to pull the hook out I'll kill the crappie or pull its eye out. I had read somewhere that if you cut your line and release the crappie the hook will eventually fall out and the crappie will be fine, do you think this is true? I hate to keep such a small crappie and prefer to release it with the hook and hope it survives. Any thoughts on this subject?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default What I do

I hate to keep one that is too small, but if I throat hook it or bloody it up bad in some way, I bring them home and scale them and fry them.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It rarely happens any more ,allI use is jigs. It was common back when we fished minnows.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation IMHO ... & by law .....

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    Every now and then I'll catch a crappie that is way too small to keep but has either swallowed the hook or gotten itself hooked near the eye in which case if I try to pull the hook out I'll kill the crappie or pull its eye out. I had read somewhere that if you cut your line and release the crappie the hook will eventually fall out and the crappie will be fine, do you think this is true? I hate to keep such a small crappie and prefer to release it with the hook and hope it survives. Any thoughts on this subject?
    the keeping of undersized fish (where there is a size limit), is illegal. The Warden will not take "gut hooked" or "injured" as an excuse. Now, while it is admirable to want to preserve the fish, or at least give it a chance to go free, unharmed (or only slightly harmed) ... there is no guarantee that your efforts will succeed. But, there is a guarantee, that if you get caught with a short fish, you will be fined.
    "Gut hooked" fish can be given their best chance to survive, by cutting the hook or line, as close to the fish's throat as possible (but, without further damage to the gills or mouth).
    "Eye hooked/eye socket hooked" fish can be released, after running the hook on thru and cutting off the attached line. If the eye is already damaged, or gets damaged in the removal process, it still may survive (with one good eye).

I've caught lots of fish - with hooks/line still attached ... removed partially dissolved hooks from their stomachs/meat ... blind in one eye ... or, otherwise obviously previously hooked & released. Do they all survive ?? ... no, probably not. But, they have a better chance if released (even with the "wounds"), than they do if placed in your creel. And, even if they should die, or their wounds disable them .... there's no guarantee that, that particular fish, would have survived another day, anyway. Best you can do is to try and release the fish with as little damage (or, no further damage) as possible. Handle the fish as carefully as you can, so as not to remove the slime coat, while removing or cutting free the hook/line. Try not to handle/injure the fish's gills, in the process. Wet your hands before handling/holding the fish, while removing/cutting hook or line. (dry hands remove the slime coat, which is the fish's "external immune system").

Both, the KY Sport Fishing Guide and the Tenn Fishing Regulations Guide, state that you should cut the line and release the fish, if deeply hooked (and isn't of legal size, or is legal size but unwanted). .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

good reply pappy!

Post Thanks / Like

Leave the hook in place cut the line the same lenghth that you caught the fish add a balloon or big float to the line ,release the fish it will go back to the school and the float will follow and you can follow the school around for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what we do

In the case of eye hooks, we use the side cutters to cut off the barb end and back the hook or jig out of the fish with minimal damage. Jigs and hooks are cheap.

In the case of gut hooked, we'll try the method shown in In-Fisherman that goes in through the gill plate to rotate and remove the hook.It usually works. If it doesn't , the fish goes in the live well since we don't have a size limit. With bluegill, use hemostats to push the fly, hook, jig further into the fish will usually pop it loose.

I've gotten in the habit of mashing down the barbs on our hooks if we're using waxies, but that won't do if using minnows I also mash the barbs on small flies and some of the smaller jigs we use for bluegill. - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I just cut the line or use a set of dikes and cut the hook and them let em go. The hook will disolve over time and not injure the fish. For hooks in the eyes I can't honestly remember the last time I did that.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default they fall out

I have two stories on that subject.
    1. I once caught a crappie with a roostertail that was hung in the gills but, it was not bleeding. I messed with it a little then decided to cut my line and put it in the live well. After a couple of hours this was the only fish I had caught so I prepared for surgury so I could release it. When I opened the lid, the bait was on the bottom and the fish was just as healthy as when I put it in there.
    2. Some times the bream action is so fast, I can tie a hook faster than removeing one. I am suprised at how they can remove the hook from themselves after I failed to. Again, the evidence is in the bottom of my live well. I never have counted the ratio, But I would say about 90% of them get the hooks out of them selves. MAGIC!!
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

None of the lakes i fish here in ga have size limits so if ones going to die i keep him and use him for cut bait for the cats next time out... But he's gotta be pretty small not to make it in the grease...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast