Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rig (how to make home made)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig (how to make home made)

Was wondering if anyone had a how to guide of building their own spider rig rod holders? I've seen a few and was wondering if there was anyone out there with their own how to guide. I've seen eagle claw rod holders for 5$ bucks and it would work with conduit or some kind or rigid piece of metal. Is this what most people are using? Another question.. What is the standard size of the pedestal on a standard boat. Not the height.. But the hole the seat slides in. I've heard most are 3/4" inch. I would like to make one or two that would slide into the seat holes in most boats. Thanks for your help! Go get em!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There's several ways of doing it. But if your like everyone elseyoud be better off just buying a set of Hi-Tecks. You can end up spending at least half the cost building your own. If you build something to citrusy seat mount then you have to come up with a way to keep it from turning all the time.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

If you are mechanical minded then they are not hard to make, just take your time and make them right and not junk. I bought a small piece of 3/4 aluminum and cut to size,then drill a hole in it the size of bar then cut a slice in it and then tap thread in it to clamp tight,as for seat most are 3/4 but how are you going to keep it from turning on its own unless you fix it where you can put a screw in it? The holders I braze and bend to shape using a rod the size I wanted
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

GAVE ONE TO PINEKNOT 18, MABY HE CAN POST A PICTURE . CAUGHT A LOT OF FISH WITH THAT RIG AND CANE POLES ! YES I SAID CANE POLES . MINNOWS IS THE MAIN REQUIREMENT . IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT CRAPPIE LOGIC THEN , IT MIGHT STILL BE IN USE TODAY ! (GNATS)

Post Thanks / Like

Wmart sells a low price rod holder that you stick in the ground. All you need is a hack saw and 1/4" die to make them bolt on. There are countless ways to so it.
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

I built 4 of these this past winter when it was too bad to fish, I did not save a lot of money but I sure had fun building them. I had several stalks of 20 foot galvanized 3/4 inch conduit.
    The driftmaster rod holders cost me 10 dollars each
    The 3/8 inch pipe hangers cost me about 2 dollars each
    The 3/4 inch floor flanges at the bottom was $3.50 each or $7.00 each for galvanized
    Paint for all 4 was $3.00 So I have about $60 each in them for 4 rod holders.
    You do need a welder of some type to tack it together or use threaded tee with thread nipples.
    The last picture is the way I built the first 2 but that is just to expensive

Name:  DSC00301.jpg
Views: 8897
Size:  41.3 KBName:  DSC00302.jpg
Views: 9458
Size:  34.4 KBName:  DSC00303.jpg
Views: 9074
Size:  51.5 KBName:  DSC00304.jpg
Views: 9193
Size:  55.4 KBName:  DSC00305.jpg
Views: 11193
Size:  48.6 KB

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

I copied the Driftmaster. The pic of the two vertical bars are the factory ones. Driftmaster on the right and mine on the left. Made it taller to suit my needs and extended the horizontal bar for more rods!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339683.317144.jpg
Views: 17867
Size:  34.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339704.335784.jpg
Views: 9910
Size:  21.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339755.592928.jpg
Views: 9308
Size:  53.6 KB
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen lots of different home made holders, from machinist grade to bubba grade. Some of the best working were made from a 6 or 8 inch piece of PVC, cut in half and made to look like most other holders(fork in one end and hole in the other, and slotted to adjust for tip height). What the holders attach to is where the good rise above the others. Too many applications to list them all but I think it comes down to your boat layout and what you have in mind. If you're a scrounge like me you can get it done on the cheap, but the hi-teks are so easy to work with that I find them well worth the money. So versatile, and the bases that they mount in aren't in the way when not in use.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help boys! It seems that everyone has their own design and likes to what they use. I guess the possibilities are endless. I like to tinker around in the garage.. Figured I would start another small project before I finished the others.. Haha! Maybe I shouldn't work on a new one and just go fishin.. Go get em!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig

Quote Originally Posted by dkb23 View Post
    I copied the Driftmaster. The pic of the two vertical bars are the factory ones. Driftmaster on the right and mine on the left. Made it taller to suit my needs and extended the horizontal bar for more rods!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339683.317144.jpg
Views: 17867
Size:  34.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339704.335784.jpg
Views: 9910
Size:  21.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366339755.592928.jpg
Views: 9308
Size:  53.6 KB
    Where did you buy the vertical bar, and did you have to thread it?

Thanks