Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Raising Waxworms Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising Waxworms Tips

Anybody got any good tips on raising waxworms. I tried about 2 months ago and had a failure at it.I think it
    was because the room they were in was only around 60 degrees. Also will any moth flying around outside work or does it have to be a particular kind . If so what does the larvae look like from a common backporch light moth?

Post Thanks / Like

As a beekeeper, wax moths are an arch enemy. I have lost more frames of bee hives to them than I care to remember. Wax moths, in NY, are about 3/4 inch gray to white and do not show up until mid summer. Probably 60 degree nights might be their minimum. Wickapedia would be good idea.
    No they do not eat the nice clean bees wax. They lay egs and the larvae tunnel around through the dark cocoon filled brood areas wax in unused, stored hives. They like dark, Sunlight keeps them out of the hive but let's bees in.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, Kayaker, I was thinking the same thing. I'm just getting into the beekeeping, but know I didn't want wax moths any where near my hives.