HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer Casts!!

billsjigs Guest

Default Longer Casts!!

Longer Casts:

There is a way you can increase your casting distance
    when you are fishing light tackle for panfish or trout,
    without increasing the weight of your jig.

You must have a spinning rig with a tennessee reel
    mount.. All you have to do is move the mounting rings as
    far as possible to the butt of the rods handle....This gets
    the spool as far as possible from the first guide on the rod.

By doing this, the coil of line comming off of the spool
    will be stretched out more when it hits the guide so it will
    contact the guide with less resistance. This will preserve
    more of the lines precious energy at the most critical time.
    The extra length of rod will also give you a wider arc, which
    further lengthens your cast..

Less resistance...more energy in the cast...greater casting
    distance.... I find that with a jig in the 1/32 to 1/64 oz range
    I can add about 12 to 15 feet to my cast..Rod length is a factor
    as well. I use a 48 inch micro rod with a parabolic bend.
    This method will improve casting distance with any type
    or length of rod....I use 2 or 3 lb test line.

Also be sure to hold the rod as close to the butt as possible so
    that the line doesn't contact your knuckles, which would kill
    a lot of the energy you have worked so hard to conserve...

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. ... billsjigs
    Last edited by billsjigs; 08-31-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing a tennessee mount is simple one that is adjustable to fit on different parts of the rod? The suggestions sound good. Thanks Billsjigs!

I use at least a 6' rod for bluegill and a light weight braid. Casting can be a challenge with the very light weight jigs, especially when windy. Sometimes I let out a few feet of line and wip the rod back slowly before casting to load the rod up as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tenn style

I always thought that it refered to using electrical tape to attach your reel to thye reel seat or butt of the rod.When I used to make my own rods this was my preferred style, also favored one piece blanks, and cork grips.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I'm wondering ....

if he's referring to a "tennessee handle" ??? Though, with the placement of the reel so far back on the handle, your "balance" (tip/rod blank weight vs reel/handle weight) is going to be way off .... making the rod very (tip) end heavy.
    A Tenn. handle is just a rod handle that does not have a fixed reel seat built into it. You can use the slip-on rings, or tape the reel to it. The handle can be foam, cork, or even the same as the blank material (fiberglass, graphite, or composite).

One other way to gain casting distance, is to purchase a rod with oversized guides .... same principle concept - to reduce line friction, as the line goes thru the guides. This is quite evident in many of the "Float-n-fly" rods, especially the custom built ones. ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

OR......you could try putting the weight into the line, making the line of varying sink densities to control desired depth, and useing the line to toss your very light offerings. Oops! Already been done. Called fly casting.
    Soory.....just had to. :D
    .....lee s.

billsjigs Guest

The rod is balanced by holding it ahead of the reel at a comfortable distance from the reel. Thats where the knuckle friction with the line becomes a factor. I personally prefer to hold it as far back as possible to give the rod tip more arc, which as you know, throws the jig with more velocity..Thanks for your comments. billsjigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default heres what I do

Before tying the line to the spool I always take some turtle wax and wax the spool edge real good and buff it off so its real slick seems to help with the light line and light weight jigs .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just my solutions

I used to do a lot more bank fishing before I started using a float tube. This is what works best for me.
    Pole- Bass Pro Micro-Lite 8' 6"
    Reel- In quest of an inexpensive larger arbor reel, I came up with Bass Pro Daiwa Procaster 1500 .This reel has been discontinued but come up on ebay in the $25.00 range.
    Line- Fireline 8 lb. in Blaze Green for good visibility.
    I feel the little micro ultra light reel are too restrictive for decent casting.

This combination has been the best I could find within my price limitations and has served my well. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

my best casting rod is my mitchell avocet combo. it's spooled with 6# spiderwire mono and I can cast it the farthest of all my rods. It's only 5.5 ft long but it's a stout little workhorse. My longer rods (6ft and 8ft) don't cast as far but I use them more for reaching areas than casting to the areas if you follow what I'm saying. I guess that's a jiggin pole.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller
    I feel the little micro ultra light reel are too restrictive for decent casting.
    We use 5' ultra light rods and the micro spin cast reels made by zebco (about $11 at Walmart). I respool the reels with 6 lb magnathin line (same diameter as the standard 4 lb line that comes on the reels). We use a 1/64 oz jig tipped with a cricket, two split bb shot about two inches above the jig and a comal slip cork. The combination of these items at the end of the line provide enough weight to cast about 40 feet and the presentation is reasonably silent when it hits the water. We cast beyond the bream bed and then trot the jig back toward us about 2 to 5 feet. It's the best way I've found to avoid spooking the fish and the fight with a 3/4 pound bream on that light rig is really fun. We catch some bull bluegill and shellcrackers that fight so hard it's difficult to turn the crank on those little reels.

I've been fishing mainly for crappie this year but writing this makes me long for bream fishing in the spring when they're on the beds at Pickwick Lake....Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast