Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawning, spawned or what

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning, spawned or what

Went to gville caught 25 using minnows and BG kiwi. As said before the males where dark and females had some eggs.

I am trying to figure out have these fish began spawning because I have not caught one with a football belly full of eggs since last month. Normally the females would be busting out the seams. The males show no sign of bed making.
    I just dont know.

I guess we will have a late spawn, hopefully this will not hurt the fishery.

What do you think and what is the worst case scenario.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that black crappie wil spawn in up to 20-30 feet of water. The fish I have been catching this month seem to be out 7-9' deep. I hope they are spawning in the deeper water! But I have not seen a worn out tail yet and that scares me to think they may miss it this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just a late spawn the fish I caught Monday had some beat up tails, and the some females had some egg sacks but not loaded. I have caught crappie into late May in full spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with alabamaal. at least two weeks late on Pickwick. Black crappie normally spawn first with a little cooler water. We are just now sustaining water temps above 60 degrees
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

I was putting in at Lakeside Landing (Logan Martin) and talked to a local guide waiting on his party this morning. He said that the spawn had come and gone on Logan Martin. We caught (17) nice fish shooting docks and I didn't see any beat up tails or females full of eggs. Did catch one 15" male that was black as the Ace of Spades but the coloration on the rest of the fish was normal. two weeks ago all of the females caught looked like they were about to pop. Water temp went from 63 at 6:00 AM to 74 when we loaded up at 2:30.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the spawn is in process and starting to wrap up for the first wave of fish here. I think some of them spawn in spurts and not all together. I think a lot of the crappie I have been catching in 7 to 9 feet are actually spawning in those areas. I know crappie like cover like wood and such to spawn around and gravel bottoms, but I think where these fish are spawning the bottom is more smooth meaning that the males tails will not show signs of wear or fanning. You can make many assumptions though but it has been fun catching them lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a report this morning that the males were in 4' of water and had beat up bloody tails. Amen, they're there!

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya seek, i am pretty convinced that the spawn has started myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I think the spawn is in process and starting to wrap up for the first wave of fish here. I think some of them spawn in spurts and not all together. I think a lot of the crappie I have been catching in 7 to 9 feet are actually spawning in those areas. I know crappie like cover like wood and such to spawn around and gravel bottoms, but I think where these fish are spawning the bottom is more smooth meaning that the males tails will not show signs of wear or fanning. You can make many assumptions though but it has been fun catching them lately.
    Love, what more can I say