Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Not Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Crappie

Give me a break. My lack of fishing this summer has meant a lack of fish to fry. My wife promised one at a reunion so I went fishing at Sam's. Picked up some talapia. I was pleasantly suprised. I used my same methods to fry crappie. But, the filets reminded me of flounder I used to catch when I lived in Houston.
    I am intersted in grilling now. Any body got any good recepies for grilling fish. I was thinking about mixing some honey mustard and lemon pepper for a baste.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We bake a lot of fillets ,when tired of fried. Usually catfish or crappie fillets with butter,salt ,lemon, and garlic powder. Do not over power fish with anything. I personally think mustard ruins good fillets. But I'm spoiled as we always have a freezer full. Last family reunion I fried 5 gallons of crappie fillets. I have grilled/smoked whole dressed catfish. Nothing but a little salt added.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

When grilling, we use Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing as a baste. Slice up some yellow zucchini, onion, tomatoes and bell pepper and baste them with the same. Very tasty summer fare.
    I agree on mustard overpowering fish. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

billsjigs Guest

Default Missing ingredient!

Roberta, Don't foreget the hot pepper flakes..I make my own blend!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try olive oil and Emmerills Essence. It is what got my wife to finally appreciate fish.
    Last edited by mudwitch; 09-06-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

From http://allrecipes.com/

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 4 tablespoons butter
    * 3 cloves garlic, pressed
    * 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
    * 1 large tomato, chopped
    * 1 cup white wine

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
    2. Place the tilapia fillets side by side on a large piece of aluminum foil. Season each one with salt and pepper. Place one tablespoon of butter on top of each piece of fish, and sprinkle garlic, basil and tomato. Pour the wine over everything. Fold foil up around fish, and seal into a packet. Place packet on a cookie sheet for ease in transportation to and from the grill.
    3. Place foil packet on the preheated grill, and cook for 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Open the packet carefully so as not to get burned from the steam, and serve.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Tilapia is some good eating. I grilled some up with blacked seasoning and it was great. It was also good on the few catfish fillets i had left, though I preferred the tilapia for the firmer flesh.

i've been a little light on crappie too, hence the catfish fillets.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

The Tilipia is a good tasting fish when you dont have crappie we grill and fry it, I like to marinate it in the Italian dressing or the lemon pepper seasoning, But it still does'nt compare to crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default tilipia wrapped in bacon

take your tilipia or crappie stripe etc, marinade it in italion dressing for a hour or longer , cut it in 1 inch squares, wrap it in bacon,stick a toothpick threw it,then throw them suckers on the grill, man its some good good eating, i picked the recipe up here on this forum, just thought id pass it on