Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how do I slow my motor down

Post Thanks / Like

Default how do I slow my motor down

I have a 50 hp and I don't have the money right now for a trolling plate but I would like to try trolling some cranks but the boat is way to fast any help would be great! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Try pulling 5 gallon buckets, one off each side on short ropes...
    not the best solution, but the cheapest. If you have an electric trolling motor, letting it drag in the water turned sideways helps too.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Add weight too!! Fill the live-wells and I have even pulled the plug and added water to the boat but, I don't recomend doing the plug thing. I only done that once in desperation at the CUSA Classic last year. Ended up dragging buckets and a loaner drift sock. When using buckets,,,be sure to use both sides of the boat,,,you'll pull straighter:D <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

When using a drift sock were do you place it on the boat out the back? Off to one side seems like it would make the boat track somewhat sideways. I tied 3 buckets off the boat last night and it helped but I still don't think it was slow enough so I was thinking the drift sock might be a better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh! Heh! Heh! Well to confess,:p we had the drift sock off the side and buckets over the other side, lines out the back. To check your speed,:rolleyes: ,,you need a GPS. We kept adding things till we got to 1.3mph. It was good enough to get a 13th place at the Classic. When I got home,,,trolling plate was ordered. It is:D MUCH easier and cost under $100. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat has enough freeboard, backtroll. The outboard is much less efficient running in reverse.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn the motor off and drift/troll across your spot. Also less than ideal but it occassionally works out perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

attach your buckets to the front of the boat with a short rope that cant cant reach your prop it pulls the front end down and creates more drag
    also trolling into the wind will help as well
    trimming your motor all the way down will help put the trim stop all the way in to the bottom hole

al
    Fear me all ye that dwell beneath the waves

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Drag a length of heavy chain attatched to a rope tied to the back of the boat or just use your trolling motor.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff