Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville?

It's been a while since a Smithville thread. Anybody had any luck lately? I have been fishing for the white bass the last few weeks. They have been hit and miss. I really can't figure out this lake this year. The strange spring seems to be carrying over to the summer for all species.
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering the same thing myself. Plan to give it a try Labor Day. Wonder if the cool weather has made any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the water level at Smithville?... I checked the Corps site daily since the big rains... showed very little increase... and then a slight DROP!
    Posted outflow hasn't changed... 8 CFS. Didn't ANY of the rain fall in the drainage area?

Post Thanks / Like

Rains brought up the water on Sunday in the little Platte,but water so low it dispersed quickly.Fished for cats most of monday,3 turtles were my biggest catch!

Big Platte river was about out of its banks wed.,all is calm now.

8 CFS is the standard for the year at the dam.

Been a pizz poor year for me.

Dove season starts in 7 hours.Taste like ass and take 3-5 shells per dove,but teal isn't far off.14 day season this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several times for white bass, and they are very hard to find. This year is so strange that there is no pattern whatsoever. Crappies are there, but have to weed out a lot of little ones before you can get a few keepers. Catfish seems to be doing pretty good because I have been able to catch a few when I was crappie/white bass fishing. I don't use minnow much, so you can see that catfish are hitting everything... jigs, spoons...

I will try to go tomorrow, and see if I can find some white bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,I must amend my post.
    Didn't even plan to go out after dove hunting,but the call was there.

Slaying the crappie today in shallow water.Very light breeze and water is past the stained stage.
    Got several 15" and tons of 10-12 in about 8 feet of water.

Post Thanks / Like

...and I can't get on the water until Sunday or Monday... AFTER the front moves through... Unless I go today after work... Hmm... Get off at 1pm today... MIGHT be able to get home, change, throw everything in the boat, one stop for minnows... on the lake by 3:30.... Beginning to see the advantage of bank fishing with jigs like Cook Just have to move...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook
    Rains brought up the water on Sunday in the little Platte,but water so low it dispersed quickly.Fished for cats most of monday,3 turtles were my biggest catch!

Big Platte river was about out of its banks wed.,all is calm now.

8 CFS is the standard for the year at the dam.

Been a pizz poor year for me.

Dove season starts in 7 hours.Taste like ass and take 3-5 shells per dove,but teal isn't far off.14 day season this year.
    Hey cook. Exactly what does ass taste like? I assume is nothing like chicken.

I ate Dove a few years back. Fun shootin' but eatin them didn't make up for the fun.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth
    Hey cook. Exactly what does ass taste like? I assume is nothing like chicken.

I ate Dove a few years back. Fun shootin' but eatin them didn't make up for the fun.
    :D :D thats is funny!!! tip for them doves 1.cut the breast in two 2.put a slice of pepper on it 3.wrap it in bacon 4.grill it tastes pretty good
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have GPS,but I was under the bridge by the free ramp.The bigger ones were about 5 feet off of the pillars.Double jig under a float,probably 4 and 6 feet under in aprox.10 feet of water.
    Bite died about 11 a.m.

Here is something that I have been trying this year that worked yesterday.Instead of a rubber body,I was putting bits of nightcrawler on the jig.Cast out by the pillar and let the breeze blow it past,or a very slow,steady retrive.Not only were 2 of the bigger crappie caught that way,but also a mixed bag of catfish,1 bass,gills,and a 3# drum.
    And azz tastes like,well,.........Dove :D