Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Habitat structure project on Lake Harding.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Habitat structure project on Lake Harding.

Looking for some help with a stucture project on Lake Harding starting Jan. 2004. Each year I build a few brush piles out of Christmas trees. I have a small boat. It makes it hard to build several good piles. I would love to have some help and show some of my older piles to the people that help. Since the Stippers were introduced to harding crappie numbers have deminished. We need to give them more hiding piles from this crappie eating monster. I will give details later in december.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Wish you were closer...I'd help. DNR here does that after ice out which the way it is going may not happen this year. It is currently 53 degrees and rainy
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Dnr does it on the Georgia side of the lake here. I just like to help on the Alabama side. After all those dnr piles are marked on every topo map and with bouys.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

The DNR should suit up in warm cloths and go out on the thick Ice and then cut some holes in the ice in strategic spots. They they could drag out the brush and drop the weighted brush down into the lake through the holes in the ice. This could be a great winter project and it would be a heck of a lot easier to do on thick ice than out of a boat. No wind to contend with and they could drive the truck full of brush right out to the hole in the ice. Ice would make a nice stable platform to work on. That sure would beat working out of a unstable rocking boat. Just have to use a chain saw to cut the hole in the ice big enough to drop the brush though.

I bet that the DNR of Michigan and Minnisota do this when they have thick ice. I bet that guys that put up ice huts are dropping cover into the lake or fishing on cover that was previously put in the lake during the cold winter months.

Now if the ice doesn't get thick enought to be safe then this won't work at all. I don't want anyone to go out on unsafe ice. I consider ice that is 1ft thick and not old ice to be safe to drive on with a light weight pickup truck.

Some may think that 6" ice is safe but I want to make sure that the ice is thick enough before I would drive out on it. But many lakes up north carry vehicles all winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    Wish you were closer...I'd help. DNR here does that after ice out which the way it is going may not happen this year. It is currently 53 degrees and rainy
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

hmm not much of a response thus far. Not many members in this area, I guess.

thanks
    Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Smiths Falcon? I am about one hour from Guntersville. I will give you a hand if your not too far away. My only uncle has a flat bottom that is huge and would carry quiet a bit and would be glad to help. Would bring my boat, but she is temporarily out of service.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FB, but i am afraid it would be a long trip for you. We are between Auburn Alabama and phenix city al/Columbus Ga. It is on the chain of middle Chattahoochie impoundments on the AL/GA border.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still working on the structure. I have changed my material to bamboo. I am catching fish on the places I have made so far only 8 to date but I have just cut another load of bamboo so more will be in the water by monday....
    If anyone is interested please don't be shy. I will show you the ones already in the water if you help me do more. I am also working on sponsers for a crappie tourney here. Would be nice to have you join the local crappie club.

Post Thanks / Like

Falconsmtty--wish I Was Closer Id Sure Help!!i Have The Same Problem Here On The Hollow! Kinda Like The Little Red Hen!!!ive Quit Makin Condos Out Of Pallets Because Of No Help And Impossible To Sink By Myself--their To Darn Heavy.guess I"ll Try Buckets &bamboo Next!!now Just To Find The Bamboo!!good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com