Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bait Concoction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Concoction

While trying to think of something to substitute for Crappie Nibbles, they are fairly expensive and because they do not stay on very wel I thought of using the small frozen salad shrimp that one can get in the frozen food section at the store. The real little ones, some may even call them popcorn shrimp. I just took some still frozen and cut them into the size of nibbles, put them in a used nibble jar added a little water and salt, and then went fishing. Tipped my 2in jigs with the shrimp nibbles instead of the Crappie Nibbles and they worked just fine. The crappies just tore them up. What was real great you could catch 2 maybe 3 crappies per shrimp tip. The bag of shrimp is around $5 and there is enough to last you all season. Just use what you need and keep rest frozen, Just REMEMBER empty unused shrimp at the end of the day. Smell, Smell, Smell.
    Indiana Crappie Federation Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your test & results! I'm happy it worked for you. Never used crappie nibbles myself, and it sounds like they need a chance- at least try the salad shrimp.
    My question is what made you decide to try salad shrimp as a substitute (as opposed to something else)???

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, glad someone has the gumption to try sonething different and share the results. Your results arn't suprising the ppurpose or the nibbles/shrimp is to get thier attention directed towadyour bait. I've used nibbles for yearsand have good luck with them. A technique I use for keeping them on the hook is to take 1 or 2 and roll them between thumb and fore finger until they are soft and pliable then put them on. Seams to help.
    Just a fool fishin

Post Thanks / Like

On tube jigs I use a syringe to insert the nibbles in the tube. On other baits I let my nibbles dry out. If they get too dry they get too hard to put on the hook so then I add a few drops of water to soften them.
    I have used shrimp too and they do work as do bee moths and meal worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea! Thanks for sharing....

Post Thanks / Like

I like to cut my shrimp into longer thin strips rather than nibble size...and have done this at times past. Stays on the hook good, and crappie love it. Never thought of keeping in nibble size in a salted jar. Maybe you can throw some garlic in too, LOL.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Garlic shhhhhhhh TDH might be lurking.
    Just a fool fishin

Post Thanks / Like

good trick man when i use crappie nibbles, i take one and smear it on the inside of the lid. just take a lil bit with my finger and wipe it behind the jig head. dont need much and it stays on there pretty well. they also make a tube you can put them in and twist out a string or fill tubebaits with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard TDH rubs a little nibble behind each ear before every tournament just for good luck. The salt will make the shrimp tougher so it will stay on the hook longer. Good idea with the strips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpdawg View Post
    I heard TDH rubs a little nibble behind each ear before every tournament just for good luck. The salt will make the shrimp tougher so it will stay on the hook longer. Good idea with the strips.
    Don't be giving away my secrets!!!
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats