Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slider grubs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slider grubs

Does anyone fish Charlie Brewer's Slider Grubs?? I bought a few to try on a lake that's full of cover but have had little success. I admit I usually only fish them when the bite slows and I want something different to throw. How do you set the hook when they are rigged weedless?? I've had a few hookups but never gotten a crappie to the boat with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Slider grubs are great for crappie. I use them casting, verticle jigging, and trolling. They are very versitle. As a matter of fact, we just taped a show on Barkley using them trolling. Caught some very nice fish!!

You can use the Sliders on a regular lead head or on the weedless Slider hooks. I use the weedless system when fishing heavy cover. Normally this is done verticle jigging. One mistake I see anglers make is not setting the hook hard enough on a crappie while jig fishing. When I am fishing this pattern, ESPECIALLY with the weedless system, I set the hook hard. I have had people tell me they thought I was bass fishing!!!! Although crappie have been labled the "papermouth", by setting the hook hard, it will normally put the hook set in the top part of the crappie's mouth, which is the hard part. With todays excellent crappie rods, they make bringing the fish in easy. I normally use either the 10 or 11 ft. Outlaw crappie pole. They are made of IM7 graphite. They are very sensitive and have plenty of backbone to get the fish out of the heavy cover.

Remember, SET THAT HOOK!!!!!!!

GOOD FISHIN!!!
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the smoke colored sliders to catch many a small bass. I too set the hook hard. I use to fish these with a short 5ft long ultralight Graphite rod that dad purchased from Cabelas. I still have two of these rods that I use a lot. I caught a 4 to 6lb drum on one of these rods last year at the TeeZur Crappie Tournemant. Anyway in the sping of 2003 I went up to Patoka Lake with the intent of using a new box of Charle Brewers Crappie Sliders. I had my system all figured out. I had weighted the jig heads on my gun powder scale and knew exactly how many grains each jig head weight and the average weight of each colored jig head. Then when I failed to find any crappie I was about ready to move to a new spot when I ran into this guy fishing in a spot all by himself. He had been there when I entered the cove and several hours later he was still fishing the same spot. After meeting and talking to this guy I changed my system and didn't really get to fish the sliders much after that. I still fish them once in a while but have not really caught any crappie on them. Setting the hook it the hard part.

One suggestion is the bring the hook's point all the way out of the body and then stick it barely back into the body to bury just the hook tip. That should still keep it weedless and allow a much better hook set when you do get a bite. I read that this is how the use the hooks on some of the new sinko bass worms.

I do know that the small bass really like these sliders. The paddle tail give the bait the right vibration and the bass just love to hit them hard.

I have had a lot of fun catching many small bass using them. But that was before I started trying to concentrate on just finding crappie year round.

Russ is right about the middle section of the crappie's top lip. That part is as hard as a rock. And the way the sliders are setup the hook should catch the crappie in that part of the mouth if you set the hook fast. Don't give the crappie time to rearrange the bait inside his mouth which they will try to do sometimes. That is why you feel more than one Tick at times. The first tick is when the crappie first inhales the bait and you feel the bait being sucked in and hitting the back of the crappies throat. The second tick is the feel of the bait being spit back out and sucked in again. LOL

Hey Russ. When will you have the Tim Gibson Patoka Lake Crappie Fishing Trip DVD ready for sale and where can I get it? Also when will you have the Richard Williams DVD on installing cover on KY lake? Those two sound like ones that I might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    Hi,

Slider grubs are great for crappie. I use them casting, verticle jigging, and trolling. They are very versitle. As a matter of fact, we just taped a show on Barkley using them trolling. Caught some very nice fish!!

You can use the Sliders on a regular lead head or on the weedless Slider hooks. I use the weedless system when fishing heavy cover. Normally this is done verticle jigging. One mistake I see anglers make is not setting the hook hard enough on a crappie while jig fishing. When I am fishing this pattern, ESPECIALLY with the weedless system, I set the hook hard. I have had people tell me they thought I was bass fishing!!!! Although crappie have been labled the "papermouth", by setting the hook hard, it will normally put the hook set in the top part of the crappie's mouth, which is the hard part. With todays excellent crappie rods, they make bringing the fish in easy. I normally use either the 10 or 11 ft. Outlaw crappie pole. They are made of IM7 graphite. They are very sensitive and have plenty of backbone to get the fish out of the heavy cover.

Remember, SET THAT HOOK!!!!!!!

GOOD FISHIN!!!
    Russ
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moose,

The Richard Williams show should be done this week and the Tim Gibson shows soon after. I am in the process of putting all of the new shows on the website. We have a total of 13 in the new series.

Thanks,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks russ. Tell Jeff I said hi
    Thanks,
    Russ[/QUOTE]
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thank You Russ ....

for telling folks to "SET THE HOOK" with some authority .... :D I don't know how many times I've seen people (and not just my partners ..LOL!!) set the hook with a wimpy little wrist jerk, when using jigs !! NOPE - not this guy ... not with a jig !! Now, when I'm tightlining a minnow ... I "lift-jerk" (lift rod with arm - jerk with wrist) -- but, when casting a jig and get a "hit", the rod is going from the 10 o:clock position to the 2 o:clock position in about 0.3 seconds ... ...LOL!! The 6.5 to 7ft UL rods and monofilament line will take some of the shock out of the hookset ... but the "speed" of the jerk will usually pop that hook point into the upper inside portion of the Crappie's mouth ... right where I want it !! I can't tell you how many Crappie I have caught, casting jigs ... but I can count the number I've had get off, after a good hookset - on one hand !! .............cp