Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Tech Pink Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro Tech Pink Trouble

Hello....I am using a fluid bed with Pro Tech paint. I'm using a alcohol burner to preheat...I'v tried more heat and less and they still come out this way. Its only on the bottom part I dip in first...the tops look good.

And its only with Hot Pink....I have other colors ( black, white, chartruse) and they all look good.

Can you tell me what causes this ? the top photo is after baking , the bottom is before baking.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Burke; 04-12-2013 at 01:29 AM.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use a white base coat under our pink or bubble gum as we call it seems to work better!!! Just our 2 cent's!! Their's a world of knowledge on here!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Fl. Pink is a fairly dense powder and I've had trouble getting it to "boil" correctly in my fluid bed until I mixed 1 to 1 Hi Gloss Clear with the Fl. Pink. The "light" consistency of the clear "thinned" the Pink so that it now boils nicely in my fluid bed. I think the "clumping" effect on the under-side of the jig might be excess powder. Also, the "thinning" of the Pink doesn't affect the final color unless it gives it more depth. All this is just from my own experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try those two things..Thanks
    Here is another photo of the "Clumping"

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepop View Post
    Fl. Pink is a fairly dense powder and I've had trouble getting it to "boil" correctly in my fluid bed until I mixed 1 to 1 Hi Gloss Clear with the Fl. Pink. The "light" consistency of the clear "thinned" the Pink so that it now boils nicely in my fluid bed. I think the "clumping" effect on the under-side of the jig might be excess powder. Also, the "thinning" of the Pink doesn't affect the final color unless it gives it more depth. All this is just from my own experience.
    X2. Pink and chartreuse can be a pain at times.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I do add clear to some of the denser powders but by the look of the ones you posted it looks like you had to much heat!!

Now as Pepop said in a fluid bed it's different but you didn't say how you were doing it?? If in the jar you really have to keep it stirred up. If you do a mix of clear and the pink keep it in a separate jar, in case you try to play with mixing colors.

I haven't had any problems with pink or chartreuse. Try keeping the head a little higher in the flame ( I use a heat gun) and keep your powder stirred reallygood if dipping in the jar. I only do 2-3 heads when dipping and then mix it good again. If you're doing a whole lot of one color I'd use a fluid bed.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello....I am using a fluid bed with Pro Tech paint.
    I have tried more heat and less heat....always seems the bottom never picks up paint like the top.

I even took some older jigs with the shinny gone and still got the same results....

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Mike - Except for adding some clear as a filler and a bit more air to bubble it better, I'm wondering if you got a bad jar of powder?? I have never had a problem with pink or green chartreuse - yellow, brown, white and Janns black (which is supposedly Pro-Tec) I have problems with. Yellow, brown and black with some clear powder fix's it right up. White is a PITA, and I have the jigs to prove it!!!LOL

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, are you rolling your jig while heating them. I use a alcohol burner also and heat 1/16 heads on a count of 1000 - roll - 1- roll - 1000 - roll - 2. Works well for me in all colors but chart, only heat them 1 1/2 seconds.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    Mike, are you rolling your jig while heating them. I use a alcohol burner also and heat 1/16 heads on a count of 1000 - roll - 1- roll - 1000 - roll - 2. Works well for me in all colors but chart, only heat them 1 1/2 seconds.
    That's what ran through my mind. I have no problems with pink. I use a heat gun and heat a count of 3 or 4 on each side, hold eye with needlenose pliers and dip. Keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast