Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod and Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and Reel

Hey all, ive been away from here for sometime but I just got my boat finished so Ill be spending more time here now! The crappie are heating up here in OH and Im looking for some new gear. My current rod and reels are cheap 4 1/2' combos from WallyWorld. They are great for shooting docks butnthats about it. Looking for a spinning setup for casting right now. What do you guys reccomend. Ive been looking at the B&M rods that are branded Cabelas but Ive never purchased a crappie specific setup so I really dont know what I'm looking at. I also talked to a guy about having a custom rod built but Im not ready to drop $250 on a rod just yet. Im not partial to any brands but I do prefer a 7' or shorter rod and a spinning real. Id also like to keep this combo under $125 if possible. Less would be even betteer.

Sorry for the mistakes in my post. Im posting from my phone and I have fat fingers lol.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good quality 6 1/2 ft rod med light to light action. If your casting jigs or Jig and Float I would look at B&M float and fly, bass pro microlite rods are a great rod for the money. I'm sure Cabelas has something comparable. I would pair it with a Pheluger President to match the rod. Should keep you in budget.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For a good enexpensive rod and reel....A Berkley Cheerywood rod is very good for the money....come in different lengths and actions....match one up with a Garcia Cardinal reel and it makes a nice combo.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Heres the rod, I'm considering....Cabela's: Cabela's Crappie Rod by B'n'M I would go with the 7' model. Its a light power rod, Cant find anything on the action.

Ive used and really liked the Shimana Sahara series for bass fishing and looked at the smaller models for crappie but I noticed they have recently switched to graphite for the frames and spools. They used to be aluminum. The Pluegar mentioned is all aluminum and looks like a really nice real for the money. Whats the difference in the 6920 and the 6925 other than spool capacity?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
    Heres the rod, I'm considering....Cabela's: Cabela's Crappie Rod by B'n'M I would go with the 7' model. Its a light power rod, Cant find anything on the action

Ive used and really liked the Shimana Sahara series for bass fishing and looked at the smaller models for crappie but I noticed they have recently switched to graphite for the frames and spools. They used to be aluminum. The Pluegar mentioned is all aluminum and looks like a really nice real for the money. Whats the difference in the 6920 and the 6925 other than spool capacity?
    Slight difference in overall size. Just got a new 6925 couple of weeks ago. Really,really smooth reel. I would go somewhere if you can and put your hands on them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

We had a new Cabelas open here in Columbus. Been waiting for the crowds to die down. I may ride up this weekend and check em out. Thanks.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BB .... while you are in Cabela's, compare that rod against a ESP 7' PowerLite (E70PLS) spinning rod. If you can, test the balance of several different reels on either/both of these rods. There are several Mitchell, Okuma, Daiwa, & Shimano reels that would match up, balance, and still stay within the budget.

One thing of note, on the ESP rods : they have micro guides, so they're not user friendly when using a slipfloat bobberstop.

My main jig casting outfit is a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod + Shimano Aero 1000 + 6lb test Vicious hi-vis line. It replaced a 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series/Spidercast outfit. My backup jig casting outfit is a BnM Duckworth FnF rod (8') w/balance weights + the Spidercast spinning reel. It's also the outfit I use when using slipfloats.

(FYI disclaimer : I was a fieldtester for the BnM Float/Fly rod, and two time fieldtester for ESP rods ... so the rods did not cost me anything. The Sam Heaton rod was won in a tourney, as part of the 1st place prizes. I'm not a rep or pro-staff of any of these brands. I have no obligation to brand loyalty for any of these brands. I like the products, use the products, and merely give my honest opinion on their pros/cons.)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

BassBlaster. For what it's worth, one of my favorite rods is an old Wright McGill Eagle Claw, 7 1/2 foot, 4 piece, Spin/Fly. It's the kind you can use as a spinning rod or a fly rod. I paired it up with a Berkley Snapshot graphite reel and Berkley XL 10 pound mono. It has a substantial backbone for horsing fish out of heavy cover, and a very sensative tip. It's easy on a crappie's papermouth, sensative enough to detect the slightest nibble and stout enough to bring the bacon home. At today's prices, I doubt it would cost more than $60-$70. That would leave gas money to travel some. I believe fiberglass is making a come-back.
    Last edited by Lotech Joe; 04-12-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: After thought. I have lots.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Go Browns! I believe our team is going to have a great year this year. As for rods my favorite is a 7 foot B-n-M light action rod spooled with 6 lb line. Equip that with a Shakespear open face reel and you have a perfect casting rod for vertical or slip float fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Ill have a look at everything mentioned.

Clowns huh!?! Im a Bengals fan!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast