Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A necessary boat accessory I never leave the ramp without!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A necessary boat accessory I never leave the ramp without!

I'm by not means a MacGuyver...more of a Red Green man myself. But, as a kid who grew up in a preacher's family, and am a minister now myself, my family isn't over-flowing with money. Us poor people have poor ways, and I grew up learning how to fix about anything that broke, and making something work. I hope that my daughter and son learn the same thing from me...NICE ABILITY TO HAVE!

But, on that note, everyone and their mother has been making these "survivor bracelets", and I'm no different, and they have come in handy more than once. See, for every inch around your wrist they go, it requires a foot of rope...so you would always have enough!

First, I was out with a fishing buddy of mine, and his rope broke on his trolling motor in the middle of a 19,000 acre lake. So, I stopped fishing, undid the bracelet I had on, and strung him up a new pull rope...BEEN ON THERE FOR 2 YEARS NOW!
    Second, I had the same thing happen to me...replaced with the bracelet.
    Third, went to help a guy I had never met who was stranded on the boat...pull rope on his motor broke...replaced it with the bracelet.

I've used mine hunting before, to double up and pull a deer out of the woods when I forgot to pack a pull strap...worked fine.
    I've had to use one as a pull rope for my treestand, as I made the mistake of not checking it the first time back to the stand in two years before I hunted this particular stand.

I'm telling you...that stuff is amazing! It has a very small diameter, any color you want, and it has 550-lb breaking point, and it doesn't seem to be affected by the weather. So, I have thrown some extra in my toolbox, and have made a keychain out of it for my truck, boat, four wheeler. It is some amazing stuff.

You can buy the stuff at Hobby Lobby for about .33/foot, or I get mine off of parachordplanet.com for .08/foot. But, I also bought about $300 for my kids to make stuff here at the church during 5th Quarters as an activity after football games.

Do what you want...but this has proved EXTREMELY helpful for me, and others I come across! I've made my dad a key for his boat that is about 8" long, giving him 8' to play with. Well, he only has about 3' left...guess I need to make a new keychain...LOL.

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a pic of this? We have been making those for our Rangers at church and I honestly never thought to use it like that.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

What would you like a picture of? I can try to post a pic of a bracelet or keychain I've made. We just got the directions on how to do it on the internet. We just make three stranded bracelets...but I have some girls who do as many as 7...they are cool and useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool indeed! CMJ take a look here Do-It-Yourself Tri-Color Cobra Bracelet Kit I wonder if the Boy Scout troop could build these and sell them?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to make these while I was in the Army. We found many ways to braid them. Them have a million uses. I made my key lanyard for my boat .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    What would you like a picture of?
    You stated that your dad's keychain was down to 3" because he has been using it here and there. The ones that we make cant be altered like that without having to start over. I was just wondering if there was a trick to it or something?
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh...yeah. What he did is open it up, use what he needed, then redid it with what he had left. Yup, its a nub...LOL...but, we will find a use for it sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

I use paracord for our clothes line. Yes, we still hang our laundry outside to dry. I also use paracord for my camping guy lines, and other uses around camp.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Para cord has ALMOST as many uses as duct tape I always keep a bundle in the truck and a small length in the boat. It helped me manually tilt my outboard back to the transport position on the trailer when my power tilt and trim failed on the ramp and I was fishing solo that morning with a skeg bottomed on the ramp.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Praise God. Think about TUG when you are tugging on that rope. We, of faith, know who is on eht other end. TUG means Touch Us God. Just send me a survivor bracelet. Psalms 30:5
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast