Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best floats for making long casts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best floats for making long casts?

Fishing from the bank the fish are still pretty deep n I have to really wing it to get my bait out there. What are best or heaviest floats that cast a mile. I'm using light line n longer rod already. Using 1/32 jig heads n lighter I can't cast to where I need to. I need a good heavy slip float. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

A big Thill waggler.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Comal Tackle weighted slip floats & a pinch-on sinker above the jig ?? If you're already using light line & a long rod, you should be able to wing this setup a pretty good distance. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do, with a weighted float, is detect a "lift bite" ... but, that may only be a factor if you're letting the jig stay stationary for any length of time. If you're slowly retrieving the jig, lift bites may still be noticeable or possibly not a factor.

Just remember ... when you do get a bite, you have to take into account the distance your float is from your rod tip, the depth your jig is from the float, the stretch of the line, and the amount of action (bend) your rod has ... and factor that into the procedure you go through before setting the hook. Too many times I see people set the hook, when their float is a good distance from them, like they would if the float was right in front of them or they were over top of it. Needless to say, they rarely get a good hookset, and either miss the fish or lose it on the way in. I usually tell them to reel in real fast, until they feel the drag/weight of the float, and then set the hook with as much rod tip movement distance as possible. Now, they're generally using 6' rods, so they don't have as much "slack line uptake" as someone using a 7-10' rod. Any float, at a distance, decreases the amount of energy of your hookset ... which translates into less energy imparted to the jig hook. And the greater the distance your jig is away from the float, the less energy transferred, as well.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The thill wobble bobber is great for long casts.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Balsam floats, 4 pound line, and lead weights as needed to make the bobber neutrally buoyant.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

11' Predator rod from Cabela's and a weighted slip float - should be able to cast into the next county with 4-6lb diameter line. I use them for saltwater panfish from the surf nd with 30lb Fireline I can wing it farter than some of my heavier surf setups.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Try nanofil line it helps me cast a mile even farther than my fireline crystal setup

Post Thanks / Like

Just about any float with a pointy butt will go really far. Floats fly with the base pointed at where they're going, and the streamlined shape helps cut through the air.

I use Nanofil and I agree it will give you extra casting distance and it works great with floats. There is one drawback, though... The shock strength is not good, so you must use a leader with some stretch in case a powerful fish like a bass or pike hits it hard. If you don't, it might break.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.