Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding slabs

Ive been out the last few days gittin on crappie ,But the only problem is they are all small,How and where do i look for slabs ,I know thier around ,just cant seem to locate them .Lake Lanier .
    Fish on Peoples !!

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about your area but here we move. The small fish seem to hang together especially in the spring. Also usually look deeper in the Spring for the bigger fish. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I have some input from another source a while ago .go to the grass shallow .So ill give it a try and see what happens.Our crappie on lanier seem to go shallow or covered docks .We have hundreds of docks to fish .but they have been small shootin docks .So ill do the grass thing .Maybe the grass will produce slabs cant hurt to try .
    Fish on Peoples !!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stev View Post
    I have some input from another source a while ago .go to the grass shallow .So ill give it a try and see what happens.Our crappie on lanier seem to go shallow or covered docks .We have hundreds of docks to fish .but they have been small shootin docks .So ill do the grass thing .Maybe the grass will produce slabs cant hurt to try .
    If you're getting smalls out from under the docks, then the bigs may have already come & gone. If you're quite sure they haven't, I'd try fishing any cover out in front of those docks or off to the sides. I'd also consider starting with the docks with the deepest water under them, and working my way down to the shallower ones. I'd also hit the water as early in the day and late in the day, as safe light will allow.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good plan also .The docks I've been fishing are between 10 & 25 ft deep .Most of them covered ,dark underneath the slips in the docks.I hadnt tried the outside of the docks yet.Just where the boats usually park .I find lots of docks with no boats in them .I too have been using minnows and tippin jigs with minnows.
    Fish on Peoples !!

Post Thanks / Like

i find bigger fish on/in wood. stump beds on the channel edges or shoreline brush in spring. like said move till you find bigger fish, is the best advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish tend to school with like sizes... If they are small... Move on..
    Also, I believe big fish eat big bait...
    Use larger tubes or minnows to keep the dinks off...
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig