Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig material help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig material help please

I've started tying jigs (for my own use) and want to know what size and kind of thread most of you are using? The thread that came with my kit is about out and it's not labeled as to what size or kind it is and I need to get some more pretty quick. I don't tie flys and 1/8oz or bigger jigs. All mine are 1/32, 1/16, and a few 1/64. Thanks a bunch!!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    I've started tying jigs (for my own use) and want to know what size and kind of thread most of you are using? The thread that came with my kit is about out and it's not labeled as to what size or kind it is and I need to get some more pretty quick. I don't tie flys and 1/8oz or bigger jigs. All mine are 1/32, 1/16, and a few 1/64. Thanks a bunch!!
    Well that is a good question, but it also depends on you and how tight you pull on the thread. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.
    There are 2 different type identities from different mfg., one is like 3/0, 6/0, 8/0 and 10/0. The only one I can use with that measurement is 3/0. 6/0 I have a use, but it breaks on me a lot and that is a real pain.

The other is measured by how many denier it is and for that 210 denier is good enough. You can get it all the way up to 480 denier, but that is not necessary.

So just remember to use at least 3/0 (remembering the bigger the number like 16/0 is like spider web and the other type is 210 or larger number denier. I do use some 280 denier and even like what they call Big Fly Thread, but it's 400 denier and that is pretty heavy stuff.

The 6/0 will come many times in 200 yards per spool and larger stuff will be less with 210 denier & 3/0 being 100 yards. After that they start coming with less on each spool. The 480 denier stuff only comes in like a 50 yard spool.

I know, never knew there was so much to know about thread, LOL! I didn't even get into the kind, like Nylon or other like Kevlar (I have none of that), silk Etc.

Just get some Flymaster 210 or other Nylon 210 or some 3/0 Uni-Thread and you should be OK!

Hope this helps

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to walmart's sewing section and find their embrodery thread it comes in 1100 yd spools and is cheeper than "jig thread". THat is what i have been using for 4 years and never had a problem. You just keep your bobbin spool and refill it off the bulk spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thread -cheap kind

Mo I use regular walmart sewing thread works great, cheap, most any color you want, I use two colors mostly, red and black. when you finish up with the final wrap, put a couple drops of supergule for a 'never come loose' jig
    Last edited by dmann436; 08-28-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

I appreciate all your help. I'll give the Wally World thread a try. The kind I'm using right now is waxed, but I didn't know if that made a big difference or not.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

have used waxed thread for dry flies, but it isn't necessary for jigs. lots of luck

Post Thanks / Like

i've used danville flat waxed thread from cabelas for many yrs on all my crappie bucktails and also on the chenille spiders i ty for brim. hard to break and easy to wrap. color don't fade. (red is all ya need)

Post Thanks / Like

I can look and see what size i use when I get home, but I do know that several raps with small thread is better than a few raps of larger thread.

My 2 cents.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

i agree with fishdoc--- a good color of red is all i have used for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barlows tackle.

Try Barlowstackle.com They have many different styles and colors. Stick with actual jig tying thread - it will last much longer and look better.