Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Treated Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Treated Wood

I have been making stake beds using rough cut oak 2x4s I was wondering how long treated lumber would last vs. the oak.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Gw ....

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing
    I have been making stake beds using rough cut oak 2x4s I was wondering how long treated lumber would last vs. the oak.
    Don't know as I'd use "treated" wood. Isn't it covered in chemicals, with the intent of holding off "damage" from water/mildew/moss/algae
    I'm thinking it wouldn't allow any algae growth. It may also leach chemicals, keeping the baitfish/Crappie from using it. That's just speculation, though.
    I understand what you're seeking ... longevity. I just don't know if treated wood is a worthwhile venture. Hope you get a "qualified" answer .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please don't used treated wood

It's pressure permeated with arsenic and other heavy metals. It's the reason it's being banned from homeowner use in many places and why contractors have to take scrap from a job site to the land fill rather than burn it. Biodegradable is better for all concerned. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you guys will stick with the oak but why is so much used on boat docks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it MIGHT BE safer BUT I also know that I have caught a BUNCH of Crappie off of docks built from treated lumber . also older bridges built from creosote (sp) treated timbers , So although it might not be the best for the water it ALL will attract & hold fish

Post Thanks / Like

I read that fish will stay away from treated wood till all the chemicals have left.
    My 2 cents.
    Bill

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

how about using cypress??
    <*(((((><

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

there is 2 differen`t type of cypress. one will rot and the othet will not . walnut willnot rot .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I build my stake beds 4'x4' with 5 runs that is 4' oak 2x4s in the runs I put 5-1 3/4" Ash round stakes I pre cut all my 2x4's to 4' but I was wanting to make some 8'x4' beds so the only thing I considered going treated was the 2 outside boards to give me the 8' length.