Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Rewards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Rewards

The subject of fishing other folk’s brushpiles and having other folks fish “our brushpiles” has been raised here several times in the past.

Our solution to having folks fish our brushpiles is to have plenty of brushpiles to fish and keep them in good shape by adding cover to them when needed. We don’t mind a bit if someone is fishing on or near one of “our” spots – we just move on to another one. We have around 200 in Lake Hamilton and about 250 in Lake Greeson.

However, we’ve run across a few brushpiles that other folks have put in that we fish on occasion. They are in such good locations - because they are out of the wind or boat traffic or because of the perfect structure they are on like points and drop-offs - that they sometimes produce when “our” regular spots don’t.

I never move into the area if anyone is fishing anywhere close to it but there are a few cranky old men that come by in their boats or walk out on their docks to hassle us and complain that we “catch all their crappie”. They seem to be under the impression that since they put the brushpiles in, no one else should fish them – especially a fishing guide apparently. I always try to be friendly and considerate and not let on that it irks me. I’ve even offered to show them some of the condos we put in and offered to help rebuild “theirs” when needed but the just go right on being cranky.

One day earlier this summer I was “hovering” over a brushpile on Lake Hamilton about 50-yards from the dock of a cranky old man that claims to have put all the brush down in that area and has let us know on several occasions that he doesn’t appreciate us fishing there.

I heard a boat approaching and turned to see the raised bow of a boat coming right at us us head-on. The operator obviously had the motor trimmed up and was maintaining just the right speed – probably about 10-mph – to keep the bow so high that we couldn’t see him or ascertain whether he had seen us.

My crew consisting of two women and two young girls saw the boat coming and became quite alarmed as I tried to move out of its path. I was up front operating the trolling motor with no time to move to the console and fire up the big motor so cranking my 70-pound thrust trolling motor on high and yanking the boat to one side was my only option.

Fortunately before the boat reached us he turned sharply in plenty of time to avoid a collision. By this time my clients were all waving and screaming but the operator never turned his head, obviously pretending he never saw us. Of course the huge wake he was making rocked us pretty good and it was then I realized it was the cranky old man and he was trying to scare us off his spot since his derogatory remarks in the past hadn’t deterred us.

I came very close to following the man to his dock and letting him know I didn’t appreciate his stunt but thought things might get ugly, which wouldn’t be a good thing in the presence of my crew. I thought seriously about going back after I finished my trip and knock on his door so we could work out our differences man to man. I also considered slipping by there one night and pulling the plug out of his boat or adding a little something special to his gas tank but decided none of those things were likely to resolve the situation or make me feel any better about it so I just let it ride.

When Ray Phillips with Fishing Hot Spots called me a while back asking if I would be interested in helping them make a new map of Lake Hamilton I was more than happy to do so. Of course he offered to put a small advertisement for my guide service on the map in return for my help, which I appreciate.

The very first “Hot Spots” I thought to give them were the brushpiles of the cranky old men that have been hassling us. I can’t think of a better way to return their sentiments than to share their brushpiles with the world. And, if I get a few complimentary copies of the printed map I think I’ll drop a copy off to each of them just to show there are no hard feelings. I might even circle my add with a red marker just so they’ll remember me every time another boat comes right up and starts fishing “their” brushpile.

I feel better now.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I here ya Jerry, no that's not right for some A hole to come at you like that. Sometimes while night stalking, both fisherman and ski boat would come by or attempted to come by my boat too close. Put the million power spot light on them and ask them what's their problem. It would be as close as 20 feet and pull my anchors loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Right on

Jerry,
    You'd be fully justified. It always irks me when someone puts structure in public waters, docks or brushpiles, and think it gives them exclusive use of the area. As long as their dock or boat isn't trespassed on or damaged, they really have no gripe. Especially on a COE lake where they only have a permit to put the structure in place. I personally ask before I fish a dock if the owner is present and abide by his/her decision, but submerged brush piles are another story.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, I'm so proud of you for giving the gift that just keeps giving. I guess I can get my money back on those fish attractor bouys I was going to put on those spots, LOL, just kidding, LOL. I think we ought to keep those spots maintained just so others will keep fishing them as a constant reminder what the cost is for being a grumpy old man. It does my heart good to know that just rewards can be better than me day dreaming about squeezing their heads with my bare hands until it pops like a zit. I now want to pay closer attention and find all their other spots. Daddy always told me to watch out for the quiet ones, lol.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Tell hot spots that those are by far, the best spots on the whole lake.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-28-2006 at 04:03 AM. Reason: NO, you can't say "that"... sorry.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a FUNNY story. Peaceful Payback!

Post Thanks / Like

way to go Jerry,that should fix him.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

You could always post the GPS location on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you gave him every opportunity to stop acting like a jerk so I think your actions were just great. Not so sure I could have kept my mouth shut, but given the opportunity you had with the map I can't think of a better way to say what you think of his actions.

Maybe you could send him a copy of the new map so he can see his brush pile as a hot spot, LOL! Don't think it will make any difference if he knows who sent the map either, just a note for him to check his location out.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem270
    You could always post the GPS location on here.
    That's not a bad idea but I'm not able to cut and paste from my EasyGPS program or attach the file here. If you have EasyGPS or want to download it free from http://easygps.com/ here is a link for a file containing the Grumpy Old Men Waypoints on Lake Hamilton - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/GOMWPTS.loc

With EasyGPS you can uplaod the files from your computer to your GPS or view them and enter them manually if you're not able to connect your GPS to your computer.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast