Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone own/use one of those casting sonars by H-bird?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone own/use one of those casting sonars by H-bird?

Are they worth a crap? I need one for a school project............
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Cane Pole:

If you are going to Fish Camp and don't need one before then I'll bring mine and you can try it out.

I have been less than impressed with the thing. Keeping a signal is like cell phone service in a valley in windy Kansas Waves.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and am happy with it. They do have limitations in there use but for reading structure on unfamilar bodies of water they can help you find fish.

Some of the problems that I've seen with them are:
    Maximum range of about 90ft.
    Unreliable in choppy water.
    Low battery life.

Pluses are:
    Shore bound fisherman can find the structure and cover near the bank.
    Does not spook the fish.
    Shows suspended fish.
    Has adjustable settings for various conditions.

I mainly use mine shore fishing along unfamiliar stretches of the lake and then mark the spots that look promising on a map or if one is not availble I draw my own. I have mine rigged to a telescopic rod with a small reel on fireline.
    After owning it for 2 years now I think it was a good investment and would buy another if needed.

BB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paddlebug235
    Cane Pole:

If you are going to Fish Camp and don't need one before then I'll bring mine and you can try it out.

I have been less than impressed with the thing. Keeping a signal is like cell phone service in a valley in windy Kansas Waves.
    Can't make it to the fishcamp bug. I just got out of hospital and will be down 2 months. Thanks for the offer. Iwould like to see on in action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blairbasser
    I have one and am happy with it. They do have limitations in there use but for reading structure on unfamilar bodies of water they can help you find fish.

Some of the problems that I've seen with them are:
    Maximum range of about 90ft.
    Unreliable in choppy water.
    Low battery life.

Pluses are:
    Shore bound fisherman can find the structure and cover near the bank.
    Does not spook the fish.
    Shows suspended fish.
    Has adjustable settings for various conditions.

I mainly use mine shore fishing along unfamiliar stretches of the lake and then mark the spots that look promising on a map or if one is not availble I draw my own. I have mine rigged to a telescopic rod with a small reel on fireline.
    After owning it for 2 years now I think it was a good investment and would buy another if needed.

BB
    That is plenty of distance for me. I can't see very far. Do you know anything about the wrist display? Any reports?

Post Thanks / Like

Default HB casting thing

I have two but they are same freq. have not found B in any stores er bouts. Guess I will have to order on line. One view finder goes on the rod and the other on your wrist I prefer the wrist easier to view while fishing. Screen is small so get your mag eyes on basic information but helpful. Rough water will disrupt the signal sometimes you will have wipe off transducer with wet rag when used after no use for a spell. I use it fishing off banks and boats TWRA lakes ponds and creeks and small rivers. You can fan cast and get a good idea of the area you are fishing. You can see places without moving through with a boat. If you forget to turn off it will eat a battery up. Yes I will replace if needed. Yoy can tie line from rod to transducer tie a line to other side of in and fish right under it. I use a rod to cast it and a wrist view finder. It is not a 102c. lol
    Last edited by ribit; 08-28-2006 at 10:57 AM.
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

I got a rod mount smartcast it works but I think cone angle is way too wide like 90 deg. Algae and stuff in water mess it up.
    I like it early in year before warm up. Great service too.

Post Thanks / Like

I see where Zebco offers a similar unit. My Hummingbird Matrix 37 can use one of those units as an accesory but I doubt if I will invest in the accesory.