Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rare is this

Post Thanks / Like

Default How rare is this

I saw an article on yahoo news and also on Field and Stream where a guy found two bass where one was trying to swallow another and had it half way down it's throat. They acted like it was something that had never happened before. He seperated the fish and they both lived. I have actually seen this before myself but the two bass I seperated one ended up dying. I literally had to force it out of the other fish's mouth. I never knew I could have made the news. I would not think this is that rare because fish eat other fish, maybe it was because of the size, trying to eat a fish same size or bigger. The one I saw was eating a bigger fish. I was wondering how many of you have seen similar.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was a kid ... fishing with my Grandparents ... we noticed a commotion on the surface of the water, about 75yds away. We first thought it was "jumps" (surface feeding Bass) but, when we got there, it turned out to be a ~4lb LM Bass with a ~3lb LM Bass in its mouth. They were separated & sent on their way.

I'm with you "seeker" .... I don't think it's all that rare, as far as it happening. Seeing it firsthand, though .. might be

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I watched that video on you tube, it was somethime to watch for sure.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I once had a 3lb smallmouth come floating by my that had a 5" bluegill stuck in his mouth...

I dipped them up...
    Removed the bluegill...
    Released the lively smallmouth...
    The bluegill did not make it....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's not much different than two rutted up bucks getting locked together. I don't think this was a hunger thing, but more a competition. Kill or mame. He certainly bit off more than he could chew.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, probably a reflection of a less outdoors involved society. It might seem spectacular to someone who doesn't spend much, or any, time fishing.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Have seen several instances where fish have overloaded their mouths. Here is a post with photos from Arkansas recently where a Crappie choked on a Bluegill.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/arkan...unt-today.html
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually saw this while it was happening. I thought it was some fish schooling but it was two bass trying to eat each other, one finally won. They were both about 3lbs, amazing to watch.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid a saw a buffalo fish on top with about a foot of gar sticking out its mouth. The buffalo was about 30 lbs. Buffalo don't normally eat fish. How this happened I havn't a clue

Post Thanks / Like

In may two years ago my fishing partner and I came upon two bluecats rolling around in the tombigbee river .I eased up right beside them and the smaller of the two,about 15-18 lbs had the larger ,about 22-25 lbs had most of the head in its mouth. we watched 2-4 minutes and they came apart and swam away. A friend told me it was a male capturing a female to push to his nest to spawn??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast