Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Monster Saginaw Bay White Crappie

7sigma Guest

Default Monster Saginaw Bay White Crappie

I just took in 2 slabs from Saginaw Bay that were 17.25 and 18 inches. I am a taxidermist and my mouth dropped when I opened this guys cooler to take out the fish. I am a crappie freak and fish the bay and marinas in the spring and fall/winter but have always caught Blacks, never Whites.

I am thinking this is a pretty well kept secert. Any ideas ? Saginaw bay has a ton of water and this guy was pretty tight lipped when he noticed I had carppie pictures all over the studio.

-- 7Sigma

Post Thanks / Like

Those are indeed some fine fish. I have been told that that bay has some great fishing though. Bigger than anything I ever caught. Biggest crappie I found was 2.5 pounds and I wish I had mounted it now. Just curious what it cost to have a crappie mounted if you dont mind me asking.

7sigma Guest

It depends. Single side skin mount is $15/inch. Double sided coffee table type work is 20-25/inch.

Did you catch that 2.5 beauty from the bay ?

Post Thanks / Like

7sigma I am from North Carolina and caught the fish from a local lake near my house. I post to the Michigan board sometime because I visit the Alpena area often to see my wifes relatives. I fish Fletchers a lot when up that way. If I get lucky I may have to get you to do some work for me. Couls a whole fish be frozen in a block of ice to preserve it prior to mounting?

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the catch 7sigma. I caught two nice size slabs in Belleville Lake on Saturday. Although they were nothing compared to yours. They were only 10in long and one of them was a stripped crappie (it had a beard and a mohawk).
    I'd rather be on the lake enjoying the thrill of my rod telling me there's a fish on the end of my line. :D

Corey

7sigma Guest

The best way to keep any fish long term is to wrap it in a sopping wet towel, put that in a plastic garbage bag and freeze. I have cuaght fish, prepped them this way and mounted them 10 years later. No freezer burn at all as long as the towel you wrapped them in was dripping wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats very interesting 7sigma. I had no idea that would last that long. Im curious if you have to paint the mount or does the fish maintain its color?

7sigma Guest

Not Crappie, they fade to a dull white/grey. Some do better than others but at best you can make out the spot patterns. Next to pumpkinseeds and Brook Trout the crappie is a pretty hard color scheme to get right.