Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the double rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on the double rig

I've known about the double rig since I joined Crappie.com, but i never really applied it. This year, I am getting my feet wet with this. After looking at several knot diagrams on here, I made one adjustment to it. I really love using clips, I can swap out jigs without re-rigging the whole thing. However, I didn't see any diagrams using the clips. But I thought, how hard can it be to just apply it. So today I rigged up my first double jig rig. I thought it was pretty smooth except for one flaw. The top jig sat crooked on the line. I used a palomar knot for both the top and bottom.

Should I use a loop knot instead for the top knot, or should I not use a clip and just stick on the jig?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes (depending on the jig style) you can bend the eye towards the hook point and make the jig sit level and still use a loop knot or clip....(without having to use a "cinched" knot.)...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot on top. your choice on bottom.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots for jigs. On the top if it is a hook, then I use a palamar knot and put the tag end back through the eye to make it stand out. However if you are using jigs for both then I would just use loop knots.

Name:  Free fall without a float.jpg
Views: 11839
Size:  42.0 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use duo lock snaps on both my hook drops. I use a plain hook or Gnat on top and a pony head 1/8 oz on bottom with 1/2 egg sinker in between.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the loop knot at the top to see if that will help. I could use either the palamar or the loop knot on the bottom. Right now I have a palamar knot and the jig points upward like it is suppose to. How much space should I put between the two knots?

Post Thanks / Like

I use about 30 inches but I use an egg weight between the two baits. I go about 22 inches from the top hook to the weight then another 8 or so inches from the weight to the bottom hook.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

My rig has all kinds of snaps and swivels. This makes me able to switch from bare hooks, to cactus hooks for fishing minnows with some added color, or pony head spinners, within about 10 seconds. seems to help a ton as far as speed wise, and seems to be strong. I clip the snap to the main line via 3 way swivel, leaders pre-tied with cinch knot, this keeps the hook pointed the way I want. May take a quick adjustment after a fish is caught, but seems to work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures are sometimes better than words.

The top rig with the palomar knot.

The bottom rig with the palomar knot.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer and use a loop knot on both. I break off often fishing mostly creeks and do much re-rigging. So, I don't bother with clips.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast