Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Match a rod for the Zebco 33-type reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Match a rod for the Zebco 33-type reels?

I have come to aquire a few spincast reels: Zebco 33, Daiwa Goldcast and an Abumatic. The rods I have available are baitcasting rods and they are in the 6.5' and 7' range. I think my rods are over-gunned for these reels as I am having a tough time getting these to cast nice.

What would be an economical rod for this type of reel? These reels are used by my family, so not very hard at all. I would be happy with something from Walmart in this case.

Many thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

The classic Shakespeare ugly stick is great for a zebco 33. I think it's only about $30 at Walmart

Post Thanks / Like

That's about the price range I was after. Thanks for the reply.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your rods are probably not "over-gunned" ... as far as length ... but they may be, as far as action. Something in the fast taper tip, lite to med lite action, and 6-7' in length should work good with the spincast reels. You might want to check out some of the Berkley rods ... Lightnin' rod or Cherrywood models.
    If these outfits are to be used for casting purposes ... I'd go with the 6'6" - 7' lengths. If they're going to be fished straight down over the side of the boat ... then a 5'6" - 6'6" length should be enough.
    A spincast should cast well on most any length rod .... so, if you're having trouble, it may be the line rather than the rod (unless the rod is a stiff or heavy action model).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I read your question and had a few ideas but everything I was thinking, Crappiepappy has already said. He's dead on with his advice and there's nothing I can add. I always change out line on a new reel because most line that come with it is junk.