Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Southeast NE reports?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southeast NE reports?

Anyone been out around the lincoln area for any fishing lately? Is the crappie bite at BO or any lakes south of lincoln starting to come on yet? Wagon Train? Yankee Hill?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you about crappie right now in southeast Nebraska is word of mouth. I have heard of some folks getting a few hits from crappie along the banks near structure, but the bite was very slow. Personally, I have yet to catch one so far.

Life along the banks near the shallow water has just started to see some action. For example, Tuesday afternoon, i was slowly working an in-line spinner late in the afternoon and caught a few bass, small guys though. I saw a few bluegill or sunfish chase after it out of the deeper dropoffs, but would dart back when it became shallow and clearer. Letting the bait just sit there wasn't producing anything. Saw a few crawfish roaming under the water as well.

My advice, find a light color, preferably something with white, have a slow retrieve, and have some flash. You might even have some luck with a stop and go retrieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried BO last Saturday with nothing to show for it. Have only caught one, while trying my hand at catching the elusive SE NE eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are starting to bite, I have been catching a few from the dams on most the lakes around Lincoln since Thursday. Doesn't really seem to matter what lake, I've have caught them on every lake I've fished this last week. Been fishing about 5 under a slip bobber just using a pink tube jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for the report. I've been kinda getting screwed over lately and I haven't been out fishing since February. I got a new boat and looking to finish working on that and get out by Friday!

Post Thanks / Like

Been catching small bass in the shallows for about a week now. Went out again today, caught more bass, but I also caught my first few crappie. Nothing big or worth keeping. But those guys were COLD, the bass were almost warm to the touch, so i think its safe to say they have been in the shallows for awhile now, but the crappie seem to be late to the party. Haven't caught or heard of folks catching bluegill yet, guess they are in the deep water as well.

I was using a chartreuse/pink plastic on a 1/16oz jighead. No bobber, just casted it out and let it sink, they seem to hit it as it was failling, and they didn't take off with it. Which made it a little tricky knowing whether or not they actually had it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday the blue gills I caught and saw where shallow, they where actually right up in the rocks at the dam. Stacked in like cord wood. Wanted to get back out last night before this weather came in but MOWED the lawn instead. Not sure when I'll get back out but will let ya all know how we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    I would bet that the crappie and bluegill are not necessarily “late to the party”. One can find panfish in shallow water one day and deep the next in the spring, timing is everything. This pattern seems to hold pretty solid until spawn. I think in general most folks have the best luck fishing sharp breaks or transition zones where multiple depths can be found in a short distance. A good example is I spoke with a “walleye guide” who found crappie in 30’+ at Sherman a week or so go and that same day I found and caught crappie in 9’ to 35’. I never under estimate crappie this time of year.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Sunday the blue gills I caught and saw where shallow, they where actually right up in the rocks at the dam. Stacked in like cord wood. Wanted to get back out last night before this weather came in but MOWED the lawn instead. Not sure when I'll get back out but will let ya all know how we do.
    never mention the words MOWED the lawn instead again, that is foul language on this forum…
    keep us updated on your catches spark, GL
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer