Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is long lining?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is long lining?

Can someone give a brief explanation of what it is? I found a video of a guy unrolling about 30 hooks from a spool while trolling in a boat. There aren't a lot of places around here that allow that.

I was wondering if the crappie guys have a different definition of it. I'm not a beginner, but I hadn't heard of long lining until recently.

Thanks much,

JW

Post Thanks / Like

longlining is casting out multiple rods out the back of your boat and hitting the trolling motor. We use 1/8 oz and 1/16th oz roadrunners with 2 or 3 " grubs but opinions vary on baits to use. i use zebco platnum 33 with 8# neon green line mounted to 8' Proangler rods. speeds should be around .6 to 1 MPH depending on the depth of the water. your lure weight, line weight, line length and speed will determine how deep your baits run. it is simple and allows you to cover lots of water quickly. you really need some good rod holders. i use Hi-teks. you can make your own as well but without them you will lose a rod or two down the road. big catfish love those RR
    Brush Buster
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like what I thought Brush Buster, does that include trolling crankbaits? Creekslick would be the best answering questions on long lining. What Sea Ark Slabchaser referred to was salt water fishing sorta like a trotline if I understand correctly which is not the same. Long Lining in Saltwater is a commercial fishing similar to trotining except many more hooks and miles of line. Long lining for Crappie is trolling with rod and reel.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Technically .... it's long line trolling : boat moving forward - lines/baits running well back of the boat. (ie - long lines). Not to be confused with other "trolling methods", or tightlining. Tightlining is normally considered as fishing with your lines straight down over the side of the boat, while the boat is anchored or tied off. If boat is moving (under power of wind/current/TM) then you're technically "drift fishing/slow trolling".

They're all just "descriptions" of a method, or a particular portion of or tweak to a method ... as in the case of "longlining", which is a "Trolling" method where the lines are stretched out away from & well behind the boat/rods.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

This should answer all your questions on Longlining.....Some great information
    http://www.magnoliacrappieclub.com/a...LongLining.pdf
    Likes "G", IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. That's a great article.

JW
    Last edited by John Wells; 04-04-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I am longline trolling I will let my lines out at different lengths that way you will be fishing at different depths to find the fish. Also if you are going to turn around make it a very wide turn and watch your lines , you may want to real in the longest ones before you do this, and watch out for the strippers while longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling
    Wear your PFD!!!!!

This is the day the Lord hath made, rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalm 118:24
    Likes scottymoe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In a word.... addicting. But technically speaking, what they said above. Only thing I will add is to use the line stopper on the reel to replicate the amount of line let out each time. If you do this and then troll from deep to shallow, using your fish finder, you can figure out how deep that rig runs when the jig starts bumping bottom. Different weights and length of line out and you can cover the full water column. My preferred speed is 0.8 - 1.2 mph.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll/long line for trout every spring and fall in a nucanoe.I do not use a trolling motor,instead rely on my own horsepower with a paddle.At first other folks who were long lining with trolling motors questioned my tecnique,but after seeing me catch my limit on numorous occasions,they no longer look at me oddly.
    My point is,long lining is a fantastic way to catch fish ,and cover much water.Dont be afraid to change your set up,baits,and tecniques,once you find the fish,the action can be fast and furious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast