Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby slipper cure temp and time?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ruby slipper cure temp and time?

Does anyone have a good combo that they use? I've noticed that curing mine @ 300 for 20 minutes either makes the red extremely dark or it is actually melting the glitter, one or the other. It doesn't look anything like it does before curing and there is virtually no glitter showing through.

I tried a batch @ 250 for 15 minutes last night and they still looked just like they did when they went in the oven. No clue as to the durability of them yet, though.

I'm using a toaster oven and I haven't put a thermometer in it yet. I'll go ahead and get that hand slapping out of the way.

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Try curing at 350 for 20 to 25 mins.I have cured them as high as 390 before with no problems.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a thermometer and check your oven. Not a hand slap found mine was 75 degrees hotter than dial. Also took a while to get it right. Temp control on oven not very good. Ruby red slipper should be cured at 375 for 15 according to CSI chart.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the bottom of the Powder Paint Custom Mix thread. I cured those @325 for 15min and they came out fine. But then that's my mix.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't state what type of powder paint you have or brand. You should be able to get the recommended cure temp and time from where you purchased it and most times, will get the you the best results. There are both low temp and high temp paints available and I'm guessing you have the low temp cure type. Get a thermometer to set the temp with. My oven was 50 degrees below the dial setting.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

The online vendor that I bought it from doesn't state the manufacturer but I assume that it is Pro-tec since he uses their color chart to order off of. I just bought an ounce to try out so it's repackaged in a small jar.

I think my oven may be well above the dial setting. I've turned it up 25 degrees a couple of times and it's gotten so hot that it baked the red off of the sickle hooks.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to Wally world or some place and get a cheap in oven thermometer and check it. Found my digital on my kitchen oven is 20 degrees low. My little toaster oven is about 100 off at 250 on the dial.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a chart on the jig tying forum with lots of paint colors with curing time

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, didn't realize the ovens could be that far off. I expected 15-20, but not as much as some of you guys have found.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using CSI's Ruby Slipper since it first came out and really like it. When reading your initial post I noticed some similar experiences I've had over time. Probably the biggest thing is "darkening" when curing. Does it get a bluish hue or maybe a lead color? Probably so. Well, I don't think it's a glitter but it should melt into your paint upon curing. Try a thicker coat of paint, myself I've found much better results and consistent coloring this way. It seems Ruby Slipper, pearl white and just plain red do much better this way. The eyes won't seal when curing usually and I get a much better appearance. I know a really hot jig or double dipping is the ticket for me. Give it a shot and tell me what you think. Those "runny" fluffy colors the thinner coat is fine, but the clumpy, stickier colors as these I just think it seems like it takes more or a heavier coating. I cure about 25 min at 325* starting with a cold oven.
    Last edited by crappiedoc; 04-05-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast