Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging in the weeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging in the weeds

I am going to try spider rigging this year and was wondering our lakes have alot of weeds in them, how does that affect what you do spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Try keeping the baits just above the weedline. The crappie will use the weeds as an ambush point. A hook with a weedguard may be a good bet for you as well, just in case. It is just like brush or trees down here in MS. The fish hold on them at certain times, so you fish as close as you can to em, sometimes that means losing hooks, but it also usually pays off with some slabs. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Over here in MI most of my pushing of jigs happens along the weed lines as that is the primary "structure" in many of the smaller inland lakes I fish. What MO\ says is true, you want to keep your baits just above the weeds and expect to hang up.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't spider rig, but when fishing weeds or heavy brush, I go to a smaller size hook and rig plastic jigs Texas style. Wonder if anyone elsedoes this?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to have a good bit of hook exposed, It sound like it should work from a bass fishing perspective, but I am just set in my ways, and like the biggest hook they will bite presented with no resistance. May be worth trying out tho.

The way I see it, losing a .50 cent hook is probably going to be about the cheapest thing I will do all day on the lake.

I could see how your method would be very beneficial while jigging, plus you have the rod in hand to set the hook already. May try it when I go wading next

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, hopefully I will be giving it a try in the next couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Charlie Brewer's crappie sliders, they are designed to be Texas rigged and are made with very soft plastic to allow for the hookset. I have some but have never really used them, most of the crappie in the lakes I fish are whites and can be caught suspending in open water.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks BigKyd, I bought some sliders a couple weeks ago to try this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Redy2fish Are you talking about sliders or are you rigging other plastics like bobby G baby shad ? I was thinking of trying this but haven't really looked into it yet . I was thinking a single hook with 1/16 bullet weight has anyone tried this with any success?