Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8ft rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8ft rods

I'm looking to down size a few rods and I'm looking for some good 8ft spider rigging rods. I'd prefer to build them but I can buy 3 rods for the price of 1 built rod. What are some good of the shelf rods you guys like?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BGJP by B& M
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Outlaw Rods from Grizzly Jig is what I started with in the 8 footers, I like them alot still use them sum, use the 12 footers most times now

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a bunch of BGJP rods, I have to tell you that they work well for me. They aren't for all types of rigging. They aren't as stiff as some of the others available. Once you add about 3/4 oz of lead to them they are loaded pretty well. Some folks use a bunch of weight, I've heard 2oz and even more, to achieve a quicker trolling speed without the baits being swept into the TM or out of the desired depth. Shop a lot and educate yourself before you buy, and don't buy what you don't handle as actions differ greatly from one manufacture to another. BPS carries a lot of different rods to begin your search, but keep in mind that tips sometimes break and access to replacements is also an issue, keeping me with the BnM products.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I would not recommend buying anything shorter than 12ft for spider rigging, I use the 14ft, once you get acclimated to the rod you will handle it like a 7 footer. The BnM Buck Graphite Jig Pole is good for vertical jigging and long line trolling, not a great choice at all for spider rigging. BnM ProStaff Trollers and Crappie Maxx Tightline Specials will be your most versatile rods to do both techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to downsize too....Thought I would troll more, but I wont/dont...I'm a night stalker at heart.

..anybody needing some 12' Tightline Specials? lol

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3 8 ft bnm roger gant's "the difference" rods, and really like them. I normally side pull jigs with them, but I have pulled cranks with them too.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I'm going smaller is because I fish from a kayak. I have a setup that lets me spider rig with 6 rods in the front of my yak. But the added weight of 12ft and 10ft rods (which I have now) slows me down a little and makes me a little front heavy. I'm wanting to try four 8footers and two 6 footers and see if it makes a difference

Post Thanks / Like

go to proanglertackle.com and look at their 8 footers. i have six that i use for long lineing and they are very good rods for the money. you will not be disapointed.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brush Buster View Post
    go to proanglertackle.com and look at their 8 footers. i have six that i use for long lineing and they are very good rods for the money. you will not be disapointed.
    I own 2 and will soon purchase 1-2 more and I'll tell anyone there isn't a lighter, more balanced, stronger rod available for $40, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast