Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Giants

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Georgia Giants

I'm thinking about stocking some Georgia Giant hybrid bream in my 4 acre pond. I've got a good bass population started to keep them from over populating. Has anyone stocked these? Had any luck with them? Thanks Speck.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I can't contribute to your question. But if you do and when you get them established I'd love an invitation to catch and release some.

I've heard alot about the super fight and excitement of the catch with the GG bluegill. Sounds like something that's a once in a lifetime experience.

Good Luck!!!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If I get them Darryl, you'll have an invite. Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i need sum to
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will have a problem with them over populating, I think they are sterile. I could be wrong but it seems that I read that somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Informative read

Speckhunter- Before you consider adding ANY type of hybrid bluegill to your pond, Google up [ hybrid bluegill myth ] . It is a very real informative study from state of MO. on how these hybrids work out in the long run.
    You may be a bit supprised at these results. Mike
    On a positive note, these things are aggressive and a blast to catch while they last. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have a neiboring farmer that dug apond and stocked them a few years ago. He liked to eat them and cleaned the pond of them in one summer. He did not know that they didn't reproduce. They were some biguns though. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a fisheries Biologist from the farm that breeds them. He assured me that the Georgia Giant hybrid will reproduce. The second and third generations will be smaller than the first however they are still huge compared to a regular blue gill. They will also inter breed with regular blue gills producing larger offspring. Under good conditions, they are supposed to reach hand size in 6 months and are 3 to 3 1/2 POUNDS full grown. I found them at www.kens-fishfarm.com. I'll be interested in trying them.
    Last edited by Speck; 08-28-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a show yestereday on them. O'Neil Outside, he was fishing for them in a pond in central Georgia. They were huge. He said they got htem from Ken's Fish Hatcher. I think it is the home of the Goergia Giant He siad that it is about the 10th generation that they start going down in size. I don't know but would like to catch some 2 lb gills out of our pond. Said they were very aggresive just had to get the bait near them. This pond had only been stocked for 2 yrs and they were already 2 hand sizes. He could hold them and they would cover both of his hands. You might be able to look up the hatcher or his site and get more info.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

A hybrid is a cross between a bluegill and a green sunfish, and after several generations you will not like the result, at least no one has that I know that has tried them. No one would ever stock green sunfish in their ponds, but that is what you will eventually end up with. A friend of mine has the largest bream in his pond that I have ever seen, and it has been that way for 10 years or so. He has mostly copper nosed bluegill. Truthfully I don't know if they are that big because of the subspecies or because he has very fertile water and an excess population of bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast