Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Proper direction to spool an underspin reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Proper direction to spool an underspin reel?

I picked up a Pflueger Cetina and will be replacing the factory 6# with 4# Crappie Maxx. Anyway, the owner's manual says it is "IMPORTANT: The line must come off it's storage spool and onto the reel spool in the same direction that the pickup housing is turning in order to avoid line twist. "

Sooo...should the line feed off the top of the storage spool or be pulled from the bottom onto the reel?

If I stand behind the reel and use my left and to turn the crank, it will spin over the top/back towards me. The spool turns from left to right over the top, from my point of view while cranking it.

Also, does it really matter which way I spool the reel?

Thanks for any advice.

Name:  IMG_2646.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  41.2 KB

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set mark in my yard that is "x" number of feet from the reel I am loading...

I pull new line off the new line spool to that mark in the yard...

Then I cut the line from the new line spool and tie it onto my reel and load the new line onto the fishing reel allowing the free tag end out in the yard to spin (unspin?) naturally...

This is basically the same idea as pulling the line off the reel and letting it trail behind the boat to naturally unwind itself...

I use different markers in the yard depending on which reel I am loading for the correct amount of line to load onto that particular reel....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    I have a set mark in my yard that is "x" number of feet from the reel I am loading...

I pull new line off the new line spool to that mark in the yard...

Then I cut the line from the new line spool and tie it onto my reel and load the new line onto the fishing reel allowing the free tag end out in the yard to spin (unspin?) naturally...

This is basically the same idea as pulling the line off the reel and letting it trail behind the boat to naturally unwind itself...

I use different markers in the yard depending on which reel I am loading for the correct amount of line to load onto that particular reel....

Rickie
    Thanks for the idea. Since I'm only spooling up 60 yards or so, I should have room in my yard to lay out the line across a soft surface (grass) and spool it up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the line winder pictured, you will want to turn the spool 90 degrees so the spool of the reel and the spool of line are on the same axis. Typically, label should face the reel. Reel a few yards on, then pull some slack out and see if it twists up. If it does, reverse the spool and recheck until the twist goes away.

Post Thanks / Like

I install the line the same direction it comes off the spool.
    Then I remove the spool and boil it.
    This shapes it to the spool.
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig