Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano spirex with what rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimano spirex with what rod?

Just like the title says. What action rod would be a good march with this reel for throwing the little crappie jigs. And what size line is best for throwing these little jigs further?

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    Just like the title says. What action rod would be a good march with this reel for throwing the little crappie jigs. And what size line is best for throwing these little jigs further?
    My choice of rods is the BPS Bionic Blade, 6 Ft, Light action. I use Berkeley Nan-o-fil 4# line. That stuff cast a country mile. But you have to get used to it. It doesn't handle like any other line. Those rods will throw a 1/16 oz jig a long way with 4# Trilene XL also.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming you are probably referring to the SR1000FG Spirex, a good choice to me would be the Wally Marshall Signature Series in 5'-6" or 6'-6" by Lew's. My son and I used these rods when BPS carried them for years and just bought a couple more after Lew's took them over. We use them with Shimano Sahara 500's, 750's, & 1000's. We mostly use 1/32 & 1/16oz. jigs as well as roadrunners with 4#/6# line...mostly 4#.

Wally Marshall™ Signature Spinning and Casting Rods

Whether you're pitching docks or casting to structure, these rods deliver the action and performance needed to present your bait in the exact location. Lightweight, quality construction with actions that have been proven over and over again, these rods will deliver on performance.
    Features:

• IM6 graphite blanks
    • Graphite reel seat
    • Aluminum oxide guides
    • Premium cork split grip handles on 5'6" and 6'6" models

Specifications:
    MODEL TYPE LENGTH POWER ACTION LINE LURE
    WMS46DR SPIN 4'6" ML F 4-10 1/8-3/8
    WMS56L SPIN 5'6" L F 2-8 1/16-1/4
    WMS66L SPIN 6'6" L F 2-8 1/16-1/4
    WMC56L CAST 5'6" L F 2-8 1/16-1/4
    WMC66ML CAST 6'6" ML F 4-10 1/16-1/4
    Line = Line Capacity, Lure = Lure Rating
    ML = Medium Light, L = Light, F = Fast Taper

Post Thanks / Like

A 6-7 medium light. I like Shimano Compre's.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I will tell you what I use and you can find one similar. I use2000 series reels mostly for the more relaxed line memory, and my go to is a 6'6" Lightning Rod in a medium action but it has a light tip compared to most M action rods I have ever handled. The soft tip allows the rod to load when casting little jigs and casts them farther. I keep it spooled with hi-vis 4lb and it casts a 1/32 like most rods cast a 1/16. It's also a 2 piece rod. UL rods leave me wanting for more backbone in the lower section of the rod and don't cast anything over 1/16, though some might be better. The St. Croix 6'6" light fast action is awful sweet too, take a feel of one if you get a chance. You might carry your reel with you so that you can check out how it balances when together. Some just don't work well together. Good luck, lots to look at and try.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The Spirex 1000 rear drag is my favorite mixed with a cabelas fish eagle 2 at 6'6" med/lite action. Spooled with 4lb Vanish and usually a 1/32 oz or 1/16 oz jig. Casts a country mile and plenty of backbone. I prefer the rear drag for balance on a long pole and even have a 7ft setup this way. I think i have 5 spirexes total and love them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7 foot Microlite from Bass Pro in ultra liight . Thats all I use . I get them on sale for $39 . All mine are paired with a Spirex 1000. Alot of people don;t like these because of the trigger but my wife and I love them. We usually fish hair jigs in !/32 and they are great outfits!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Spirex also except in the 2500 rear drag on Cabela's 7 foot med-heavy with 6-15 power pro i can use 1/16 on up works good for me. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

I find UL rods to be too whippy and not as sensitive as light action rods. I prefer a 7 ft light action, high modulus rods for throwing jigs. There are lots of rods in that category to choose from. You would have to tell me your budget for the rod to get a specific recommendation. I currently use a Gander Mountain 7 ft light IM8 for throwing Jigs and I love that rod. It only cost be $50 bucks on sale. Perfect crappie rod. Rod manufacturing is so varied these days that you will need to get the rods your interested in your hands before you buy to make sure it fits your needs.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have better luck with your Spirex that I have had. The Quick Fire mechanism seems to always malfunction on me. I have use the Syncopate trigger reels for the past 5 years and I love them. THey are about 30 buck cheaper and last much longer. I like a light action rod with some backbone. About a 60/40 rod. In other words, 40% of the rod has the tip action and about 60% is backbone. Do some looking and don't fall for a rod just due to its name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast