Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Suggestions for Solo fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety Suggestions for Solo fishing.

I fish by myself quite a bit cause I got an awful work schedule. A few things I learned in order to be safe is let people know when you are going and when you are coming back, wear life vest etc. But another situation I've been pondering came up.
    I went fishing with another forum member yesterday on a lake 30 min south of where I live. The ramp we launched out of wasn't really a safe place to be; lot of squatters,hooligans, etc hang out there and there has been a couple big drug busts in the area. We didn't have much luck there so we decide to call the trip short. My partner dropped me off on the bank to get the truck to load the trailer up. There were these 3 dudes scoping me out as I was getting in my truck and backing the trailer in the water. I guess being a short guy they seen me as being vulnerable. My partner drove the boat on the trailer and I pulled up. As I was getting out of the truck, these dudes starting talking to me, strangers I haven't seen before. They say they seen me from somewhere etc. My partner a big 6+ ft guy jumps out of the boat and asks whats up. Those 3 guys slither away. How does one handle things when they encounter not too kosher people at the launch site? I don't have the necessary things for a CWP yet.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly suggest you rectify the cwp situation first and foremost. Carry a big knife till then and make a phone call and have a discussion with someone while tending rig, till ya get back on the road. And try to avoid those areas even while carrying.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Glock 40 caliber....don't leave home without it
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "g" View Post
    glock 40 caliber....don't leave home without it
    x2

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Even with a CWP, some areas are off-limits for firearm carry. I have several cans of bear pepper spray I keep in handy places- cheap and much easier to aim than a Glock. Effective up to about 30 feet. While the creep is rubbing his eyes, rolling on the ground and gasping for air, you can pretty well have your way with him. Just need to be mindful of the wind direction. A good, lawful, option.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Always take a fishing buddy with you and six little brothers.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

With at least 6 little brothers, I am not a great shot with a pistol so I prefer more than 6.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a youth model Remington 870 shotgun I carry when fishing.It's small enough to not get in the way but big enough to be seen when I'm coming to or from my truck.The first round is #6 for snakes the next 3 rounds are 00 buckshot for larger varmints.Like I've said before...I plan on being the one telling the story about what happened.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish an awesome winter spot on the Arkansas River but had to put in at an abandoned COE park. Many times I would pull up in the morning to find a burned out vehicle spot. I never had any trouble but was always was watching out.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Place an AlkaSeltzer under your tongue and chase them around the parking lot on all fours while barking like a dog. They'll leave you alone.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast