Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fall fishing in Il

kidmaduro Guest

Default fall fishing in Il

I always fished in the Spring down at lake Sara but never in the Fall. What is the best Month to fish and where can I get a report now about it. It's very hard for me to just run down there "work". I have to plan ahead. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

kid - Go to this website:http://www.ifishillinois.org/ and click on fishing reports. Then go to region V and click on there and scroll down to Lake Sara. These reports are usually updated weekly from early spring to late fall. I only live about 25 miles from Sara, but have not fished it since the late 60's. At that time it was known for big bass. Since then I hear the walleye and crappie fishing can be decent.
    Ken

kidmaduro Guest

Nice lake, I go every year in the spring. Fish, eat, smoke cigars and drink beer. You know all the tools of fishing. Just trying to find the best time this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

October is "Prime Time" here and we usually do well through November and December - probably a bit earlier up there. When the surface temps fall through the 70s and 60s the crappie (and green carp) act like they are starving to death.

I've noticed that the females start getting new eggs for the next year's spawn when the surface temps get under 70 and that takes some extra nutrients. Both males and females need to bulk up for the winter and still have enough stored energy for spawning in the spring.

Also, a lot of the available food source - shad and fry from everything that spawned the previous spring - has been consumed or grown too large so there is a lot of competition for what's left.

You don't want to miss the Fall Feeding Frenzy - it can be more productive than fishing during the spawn.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry

CLEANED FEMALES THIS WEEK THAT WERE STARTING TO GET EGGS---[SURFACE TEMP 78-80] CAUGHT A BUNCH OF SHORTS---ABOUT LIKE THE FALL FEEDS STARTIN ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

kidmaduro Guest

I know it a crap shoot, but you guys think sometime in Oct? Or is that to early? Or Late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    CLEANED FEMALES THIS WEEK THAT WERE STARTING TO GET EGGS---[SURFACE TEMP 78-80] CAUGHT A BUNCH OF SHORTS---ABOUT LIKE THE FALL FEEDS STARTIN ?
    Hey Frank:

The females here still have small amounts of what's left of last spring's spawn in the form of a dark orange or brown goop in their egg sacks although most of them laid nearly all their eggs this year, especially the black crappie.

I haven't noticed any new pale yellow eggs forming yet but it won't be long. If you're seeing new eggs I would expect them to start getting a lot more interested in snacking soon.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

kidmaduro Guest

anyone from Southern Il? I am thinking Oct 24th